Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/27 13:12:24 UTC

[Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Hi All,

As I know jaxws is not considered as a core component , so I can not
understand why we have added that to axis2.xml in the kernel module.
With this change we can not start axis2 without having jaxws around. So
I think we need to remove that from the kernel axis2.xml.

Thank you!
Deepal

Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi All,

I've got a couple of questions about this approach.

1) Are there any semantic differences between an Axis2 handler plugged
into specific phases at specific points and a MAR?  For example, the
current JAXWS dispatchers have to plug in so that all the operation
resolution has been attempted but before the Dispatch checkPostConditions
so that a spec-compliant exception is thrown.  Can that sort of behavior
be accomplished with a MAR?

2) JAXWS requires the JAXWSMessageReciever class.  Can a MAR provide a
MessageReciever?  If not, then at least some of the JAXWS classes can't be
dealt with as a MAR.

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

From:
Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>
To:
axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Date:
05/28/2008 11:33 PM
Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

> Paul,
> I still think we could use the JAXWSDeployer to automatically deploy a
> jax-ws module (an in-memory constructed one rather than needing a
> separate .mar) when JAX-WS services are found.
Yes , I also think that as the right approach

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
David,

I agree 100%. I think thats a great solution. Maybe I misunderstood
Deepal's proposal. I simply want to ensure:
1) we can pass the TCK
2) Its dead simple to use JAXWS.

Paul

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Deepal

I don't think your scenario with a JAXWS module solves the TCK
problem. The TCK clearly states (as Dims pointed out) that the code
must work "out of the box" with no additional configuration. I also
want this, irrespective of the TCK rules. The fact is that we are
making it complex to use JAXWS when all the alternative toolkits make
it as easy as possible.

I don't really understand your motivation here.

Paul

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk> wrote:

>> Hi Deepal, Paul:

>>> But now we get Class not found exception  , if we try to use Axis2
>>> without having jaxws around  :)
>>
>> Paul was asking if there's a way *around* that kind of problem, Deepal...
>> and I think there is.
>>
>> For much of our configuration, components (handlers in particular) are
>> non-optional - failing to find a configured class means a fatal error. We
>> could pretty easily change that to allow for optional components in several
>> ways:
>>
>> * We could leave everything as-is and create an "OptionalDispatcher" which
>> uses reflection to load a target class.  It's a noop if it can't find the
>> target class, and it delegates if it can.
>
> I can not agree here. then we are making some assumptions on unwanted thing.
>>
>>  <handler name="GenericProviderDispatcher"
>>           class="org.apache.axis2.dispatchers.Optional">
>>    <parameter name="targetClass">
>>       [...]dispatchers.GenericProviderDispatcher
>>    </parameter>
>>  </handler>
>>
>> * We could add an "optional" flag to our handler configuration which would
>> allow trapping ClassNotFoundExceptions and simply skipping the handler if
>> one is thrown.
>
> Well , what we are discussing here is some major changes. But we can easily
> solve this problem by having jaxws module with those handlers (I mean a mar
> file).  If we do so we can remove those handlers from axis2.xml and move
> them to jaxws.mar so if someone want jaxws support then what he has to do is
> - first drop all the jaxws related jar into class path
> - second engage jaxws module.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
David Illsley wrote:
> Could we get the JAXWSDeployer to engage a 'by-default-unengaged'
> module if JAX-WS services are found?

Yep - the deployer has access to the AxisConfiguration, so that should
work fine.  Be good to test it out though, of course.

--Glen

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Deepal, Paul:

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> Is there a way of making it more dynamic? If its there it works, if
> not then its still ok?

But now we get Class not found exception  , if we try to use Axis2
without having jaxws around  :)
-Deepal

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.

<de...@opensource.lk> wrote:

>> Deepal
>>
>> If we make the change you propose, does this mean that a user *has* to
>> edit axis2.xml in order to enable JAXWS support?
>>

> Yes, but that is good rather than having a dependency to jaxws (even for
> very small thing).  As one solution we can have some other axis2.xml in the
> jaxws module.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> As I know jaxws is not considered as a core component , so I can not
>>> understand why we have added that to axis2.xml in the kernel module. With
>>> this change we can not start axis2 without having jaxws around. So I
>>> think
>>> we need to remove that from the kernel axis2.xml.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>> Deepal

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Deepal

If we make the change you propose, does this mean that a user *has* to
edit axis2.xml in order to enable JAXWS support?

Paul

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As I know jaxws is not considered as a core component , so I can not
> understand why we have added that to axis2.xml in the kernel module. With
> this change we can not start axis2 without having jaxws around. So I think
> we need to remove that from the kernel axis2.xml.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal

Paul Fremantle
Co-Founder and CTO, WSO2
Apache Synapse PMC Chair
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2] why GenericProviderDispatcher in the kernel axis2.xml

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Short-Term: Let's fix the code to log a warning as we have done for
the rest of the components.

Long-Term: Do we want Axis2 users to use the axis2 war as-is and
deploy their JAXWS code? (Please put yourselves in their shoes).

thanks,
dims

Posted by Jeff Barrett <ba...@us.ibm.com>.
I believe both those are needed to pass JAXWS CTS.  At one time in order
to claim CTS compliance the TCK had to be run against the system with no
further configuration (other than installing the applications).  I don't
know if that is still a requirement or a concern for Axis2.

Thanks,
Jeff

IBM Software Group - WebSphere Web Services Development
Phone: 512-838-4587 or Tie Line 678-4587
Internet e-mail and Sametime ID: barrettj@us.ibm.com

From:
Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>
To:
axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Date:
05/27/2008 06:18 AM

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
I forgot to mentioned the two in the kernel axis2.xml , do we really
need to have them here  ?

 <handler name="GenericProviderDispatcher"

class="org.apache.axis2.jaxws.dispatchers.GenericProviderDispatcher"/>
            <handler name="MustUnderstandValidationDispatcher"

class="org.apache.axis2.jaxws.dispatchers.MustUnderstandValidationDispatcher"/>

Thank you!
Deepal
> Hi All,
>
> As I know jaxws is not considered as a core component , so I can not
> understand why we have added that to axis2.xml in the kernel module.
> With this change we can not start axis2 without having jaxws around.
> So I think we need to remove that from the kernel axis2.xml.
>
> Thank you!
> Deepal

Deepal