Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Cai, Eric" <we...@ebay.com.INVALID> on 2021/07/02 03:28:54 UTC

Discuss: maven-war-plugin build war archive directly without building exploded war

We have a large web project and there is large numbers of dependencies. When we run "mvn war:war", it usually takes 40s+ to build a war (~ 600MB) on a windows 10 box and 15s + with a mac book.

By checking the war-plugin code, we know the plugin need first copy files necessary to a folder under project dir (exploded war), then archive the entire folder.
Copying the files to a new folder actually take a long time.

My question is:
Does it make sense to modify war-plugin to skip building the exploded war and directly create archive with original files? I think it can save quite a bit time.

src/main/webapp -> archive
target/classes -> archive

Any impacts if the exploded war is not created?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Discuss: maven-war-plugin build war archive directly without building exploded war