Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/29 12:41:02 UTC

Contributing link for JMeter site

There's currently no obvious link as to how to contribute back to JMeter itself.

The "Get Involved" link is a general link about getting involved in
the ASF (so I have moved it under the ASF heading).

I think it would be useful to have a short page summarising the ways
to contribute to JMeter itself. For details, it would link to other
pages (where they exist - if not we might need to create some on the
site or perhaps Wiki).

This summary would cover such things as
- filing patches via Bugzilla
- responding to mailing list questions
- updating the Wiki
- translations
- enhancements to JMeter

The idea is to provide an overview of the ways to contribute, without
too many details that may clutter the page.

==

I think the link needs to be reasonably high up the LH menu
Possibly we should move the Community section higher up and add it there.

Re: Contributing link for JMeter site

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 July 2013 13:19, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you can also add contributing to this:
>
>    - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/jmeter
>
> I don't know what you think about it, but maybe it could be useful to
> mention this site as resource for JMeter questions ?

I have found the website very useful for non-JMeter questions.

However, I'm concerned that this may detract from the JMeter User
list, which (IMO) should be the primary source for user questions.

It's also another resource to monitor (which I personally don't feel I
have time to do adequately).

If we do promote it as another resource, I think we need to be sure
that it can be effectively monitored so responses can be corrected if
necessary.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 29.07.2013 12:41, sebb wrote:
> There's currently no obvious link as to how to contribute back to JMeter itself.
>
> The "Get Involved" link is a general link about getting involved in
> the ASF (so I have moved it under the ASF heading).
>
> I think it would be useful to have a short page summarising the ways
> to contribute to JMeter itself. For details, it would link to other
> pages (where they exist - if not we might need to create some on the
> site or perhaps Wiki).
>
> This summary would cover such things as
> - filing patches via Bugzilla
> - responding to mailing list questions
> - updating the Wiki
> - translations
> - enhancements to JMeter

Sounds good, I'd move mailing list discussion as the first topic bit
that's just a personal preference.

Didn't check, but do we describe somewhere else how to build JMeter from
svn?

> The idea is to provide an overview of the ways to contribute, without
> too many details that may clutter the page.

Excellent idea.

> ==
>
> I think the link needs to be reasonably high up the LH menu
> Possibly we should move the Community section higher up and add it there.

It could at least replace the unspecific "Get Involved" link. Not sure
whether I would move the "Community" block further up, since for most
visitors of the site the menu items that are currently higher up should
be more important.

Regards,

Rainer