Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by dave selby <da...@googlemail.com> on 2008/08/02 10:26:41 UTC

[users@httpd] very odd vhost 8085 problem

Hi all,

I have a very strange problem, I have apache2 setup with a vhost ...

Listen 8085
NameVirtualHost *:8085

<VirtualHost *:8085>

    ServerName kmotion
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    DocumentRoot /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www

    <Directory /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www>
        Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all

	AddHandler mod_python .py
        PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
	# Display python errors to web browser - useful for debug
        PythonDebug On

        # secure login ...
        AuthType Basic

        # ** INFORMATION ** Users digest file enabled ...
        AuthName "kmotion"
        AuthUserFile /home/dave/kmotion2/www/passwords/users_digest

        Require valid-user
    </Directory>

    LogLevel warn

    ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error_kmotion.log
    CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access_kmotion.log combined

    Alias /images/ /home/dave/kmotion2/www/kmotion_www/images/

</VirtualHost>

So apache2 and the website I am developeing and all are all running on
my laptop. All works as expected except when I try to access my
website localhost:8085 when I am on line (which should be irrelevant)
but when I am off line apache2 appears to not see my requests to
:8085.
There is nothing in the apache logs, its like my vhost just does not get loaded.

Any ideas anyone, puts a kink in my off line development !

Cheers

Dave

Re: [users@httpd] very odd vhost 8085 problem

Posted by dave selby <da...@googlemail.com>.
Looks like this is an ubuntu problem http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10813/

I will head that way

Thanks

Posted by dave selby <da...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks for replying :)

> There's a whole bunch of things that may be happening or not here, depending
> on the exact circumstances.
> But if your vhost is "getting loaded" when you are on-line, there is no
> reason why Apache would not load it when you are off-line.
> My bet is that you have a problem with DNS (translation of "kmotion" into an
> IP address), not with your Apache server, but with your browser.
> So,
> 1) What kind of OS is your laptop running ?

(k)ubuntu 8.04

when offline:

firefox :This document cannot be displayed while offline. To go
online, untick Work Offline from the File menu.

konq: An error occurred while loading http://localhost:8085:
Could not connect to host http://localhost:8085/.

when online:

perfect

when again offline:

problems again.

> 2) Does your laptop "know" the IP address of "kmotion" ?
> (open a terminal/command window and type "ping kmotion". Does it tell you it
> cannot find "kmotion" ?)

When both online & offline:

dave@dev-system:~$ ping kmotion
ping: unknown host kmotion
dave@dev-system:~$

Because I am accessing it as localhost I was assuming DNS was not
involved, or at most just the /etc/hosts file which contains
127.0.0.1       localhost

Its all very bizzare ...

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.