Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Schehl, Micah" <Mi...@omnicare.com> on 2004/12/03 20:39:03 UTC

Could Tapestry solve my webapp reloading problems?

One of the big things I struggle with Java with is the inability change the
code of a webapp without the whole webapp having to reload.   The reason
this is a problem because when I am asked to make a small change, people
expect to see that change in production right away-- without downtime.  ( I
think this expectation is created since other websites written in Perl, ASP,
PHP, etc. can do this.)

Does anybody have an idea how I might solve this?  I have not used Tapestry
enough to know whether there is a way to avoid the webapp reloading problem.

Micah

Re: Could Tapestry solve my webapp reloading problems?

Posted by Jin Lee <ji...@gmail.com>.
There are many ways to tackle this problem, IMO.

1. I tend to use a production lifecycle, i.e alpha (development and
internal testing), beta (released to test by key users), and
production (public release). Any changes requested after production
are usually done at a time where it would not reload the web
application. So given a small change, there will usually be a 24 hour
turnaround time. I find that 90% of my users are happy with this
scenario. In your case, however,

2. You can use a server montoring tool (or write one yourself) that
just notifies you when a user logs on or is using the web application.
When there are no more users online (i.e when no more sessions exist),
you can apply your changes.

3. I believe tomcat does not invalidate your session when you
reinstall the war file. I think this is the case because when I use
container managed security in tomcat, it does not forward me back to
the login screen upon reinstalling the web application.

Personally, I like the fact that your web apps are packaged and
deployed in this manner. Its easy to organize and makes deploying from
development to production servers that much easier.

Hope this helps,

Jin