Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/13 03:48:57 UTC

Role/purpose of Overseer?

Hi,

I was looking at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud and noticed that
while "overseer" is mentioned a handful of times, there is nothing there
that explains what exactly Overseer does.

This 8-word Javadoc is the best I could find:
http://search-lucene.com/jd/solr/solr-core/org/apache/solr/cloud/Overseer.html

The first diagram on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud shows 1
Overseer.  Does that make it a SPOF?  If not, what happens when it goes
down?

Also, is Overseer here to stay?
The other day, I saw an issue in JIRA questioning its use or something
along those line.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Role/purpose of Overseer?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
The Overseer isn't mentioned much because it's an implementation
detail that the user doesn't have to really consider.

The Overseer first came about to handle writing the clusterstate.json
file, as a suggestion by Ted Dunning.

Originally, each node would try and update the custerstate.json file
themselves - and use optimistic locking and retries.

We decided that a cleaner method was to have an overseer and let new
nodes register themselves and their latest state as part of a list -
the Overseer then watches this list, and when things change, publishes
a new clusterstate.json - no optimistic locking and retries needed.
All the other nodes watch clusterstate.json and are notified to
re-read it when it changes.

Since, the Overseer has picked up a few other duties when it makes
sense. For example, it handles the shard assignments if a user does
not specify them. It also does the work for the collections api -
eventually this will be beneficial in that it will use a distributed
work queue and be able to resume operations that fail before
completing.

I think over time, there are lots of useful applications for the Overseer.

He is elected in the same manner as a leader for a shard - if the
Overseer goes down, someone simply takes his place.

I don't think the Overseer is going away any time soon.

- Mark

--
- Mark