Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Sridhar R <sr...@yahoo.com> on 2003/10/12 00:53:38 UTC

DNS name changes to Machine name with Tomcat 4.1.27 - Reason?

Hi there,
We are facing a problem of Tomcat changing the DNS name (xyz.abc.com) to the internal machine name (machine1.Company.com:<port>). This peculiar behaviour happens only when we do not give index.jsp at the end of the URL. (i.e.) https://xyz.abc.com/context/ - This gets changed to https://machine1.company.com:<port>/context/index.jsp. But if we give https://xyz.abc.com/context/index.jsp, the referer name remains the same.

Our environment is Tomcat 4.1.27 with AJP13 connector to iPlanet web server over SSL. We found that (from the debug files generated on AJP13 connector) the host (and referer) name changes once the authentication is complete. Since the domain name changes to the machine name, one more authentication popup window comes up. Although, it changes the URL with the machine instead of domain, the application works without any issue. But we do not want the user to see the machine name with the port in a site with SSL instead of given domain name.

Earlier we had an environment with Tomcat 3.2.4 with AJP13 connector to IPlanet. It was working fine in that environment. When we changed it to Tomcat 4.1.27, we encountered this peculiar issue. We are not sure, if this has some thing to do with Tomcat configuration. We are doubtful, if Tomcat 4.1.27 requires a changed setting at the iPlanet web server.

We spent considerable time by changing the different attributes to connector tag in server.xml and we could not derive any solution for this issue. Can anyone help us with this issue? Your timely inputs are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Sridhar

Re: DNS name changes to Machine name with Tomcat 4.1.27 - Reason?

Posted by sa...@purdue.edu.
I had the same problem using J2EE 1.4 Beta 2 (Tomcat 5). But i blamed it on my
ISP (they use a router, which apparently does the replacement of HTTP
headers). Was i right?
I wonder why the URLs like this work: it has to be the case that the browsers
ignore the domain part of the URL once TCP/IP connection is established.
Because the URL i was seeing in the HTTP header was MACHINE.isp.etc.com, which
couldn't even be pinged from outside. So, TCP/IP headers take precedence over
HTTP headers. Am i right?

Thanks,
Reshat.