Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/11 01:09:08 UTC

security service?

Hi,

I'm unexpectedly upgrading a large app to from Turbine 2.2 to 2.3.2
this weekend.  Kind of a pain but it's nice to be able to remove many
of the workarounds I have for quirks/bugs in the earlier version.

Question - I notice there are two different database security
services, DBSecurityService and TorqueSecurityService.   What's the
difference; which one is better maintained?  I assume that one is a
fork of the other.

A quick scan at the code and howto seems to indicate that
TorqueSecurityService would be the way to go -- is that hunch right?

As an aside, I started by upgrading from Velocity 1.4 to 1.5, which
due to a Commons Collection dependency forced me to upgrade Torque
from 3.0 to 3.3, which due to a Commons Configuration dependency
forced me to upgrade to Turbine 2.3.  Yes, I'm partially responsible
for upgrading Commons Collection in Velocity in the first place.  But
people talk about DLL Hell - there's a little of that with Commons too
:-)

Would appreciate tips.

Best, WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: security service?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Scott,

Scott Eade wrote:
> The comment at the beginning of
> http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine/turbine-2.3.2/services/security-service.html
> makes it clear that TorqueSecurityService (largely developed by Henning)
> is the way to go - I use this and it works just fine.  I believe Thomas
> V. is working on porting this forward for Turbine 2.4 - please correct
> me if I am wrong on this point Thomas.  Note that progress on 2.4 is
> proceeding at a glacial pace - this is not a complaint, just a realistic
> comment.

You are right about the (Fulcrum-)Security service based on Torque.
Please note that there is already code in SVN that does more or less
work. I'm in the process of a major rewrite because of some assumptions
about object instance identity that are buried in the API that are
difficult to realize with Torque. I would like to rescue the LDAP
Security service from the Turbine 2.3 branch as well.

The current status of the Turbine 2.4 trunk is difficult to say the
least. Some of the Fulcrum ports need a fair amount of tweaking to work
with 2.4 as well as the other way round. I could need every help in this
area...

Bye, Thomas.

Re: security service?

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Hi Will,

The comment at the beginning of
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine/turbine-2.3.2/services/security-service.html
makes it clear that TorqueSecurityService (largely developed by Henning)
is the way to go - I use this and it works just fine.  I believe Thomas
V. is working on porting this forward for Turbine 2.4 - please correct
me if I am wrong on this point Thomas.  Note that progress on 2.4 is
proceeding at a glacial pace - this is not a complaint, just a realistic
comment.

Jeffery Brekkie has just today confirmed a problem with Torque 3.3-RC2
that I ran into a couple of days ago whereby Torque initializes and then
immediately shuts down.  Jeffery has reverted to 3.3-RC1 to resolve this
issue for now - I will do the same thing for my app tomorrow and raise
the RC2 issue on tirque-dev.

DLL Hell for sure - I am just converting a project to Maven2 and have a
few interesting version conflicts to somehow sort out.

Regards,

Scott