Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Tung Mansfield <ma...@orbitcommerce.com> on 2000/11/17 17:08:42 UTC

RMI versus SOAP

What are the pros and cons of RMI versus SOAP? I am particularly interested
in the performance difference between the two. I am assuming the
communication is between two systems from two different companies where the
communication will most likely be through HTTP. Is RMI over HTTP still
faster than SOAP?

RE: RMI versus SOAP

Posted by Filip Hanik <fh...@pakana.com>.
Hi David,
what about IIOP and CORBA.
You can achieve language independence with a speed faster than both RMI and
SOAP.
However, as stated in the article I replied with earlier. SOAP can be very
useful since it can run on almost any protocol.
you run it on HTTP if you have firewall problems, you can run it on
SMTP/POP3 using email. very cool actually

Filip

Filip Hanik
Technical Architect
Pakana Corporation