Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Hari Madhavan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/01 11:32:18 UTC

Karaf and Ace

Hi,

We are developing a health-care domain product and use Felix as the OSGI
implementation and Karaf as the platform for production deployment. One of
the requirements for the product is to be able to upgrade bundles
automatically across all deployments. I was looking to use Apache Ace to
achieve this.

While I could get the ace server and client to work independently, I could
not get a recent maven artefact tor the Ace client to deploy on Karaf.  I
noticed that the version on maven is more than 5 years old ( and incubator
status ).

Is ace the right product for providing automatic distribution of upgrades
for OSGI bundles when running on Karaf ? Are there other alternatives ?

Regards

Hari

Re: Karaf and Ace

Posted by Hari Madhavan <ha...@promantia.com>.
Thanks for your inputs JB and Guillaume. Cellar seems to be more suitable
for managing nodes in a server farm sort of environment.

I will try the do-it-yourself option  Are there some samples of feature
install being used from another bundle that I could use as a reference ?

The alternate that I am still considering is Ace. Are there any
incompatibilities there ?

Regards
Hari

Re: Karaf and Ace

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

> The things that I were looking for were
>
> 1.  Deployment from a central repository - which I suppose can be done on
> karaf .
> 2.  Centrally managing what get's deployed where - for example when a new
> version comes out, we might want to push to a few installations initially
> and then push to all the other installations once stability is confirmed.
> 3.  Many of the installations are on laptops which may not be always on
> the network - so it would be nice to know who all have upgraded and who all
> have not at any point of time

Point #2 and #3 are not well handled by Karaf only.
Cellar can be interesting, as pointed by JB, but it does a bit more and is
slightly more heavyweight, the usual use case is when you have a real
network of karaf instances.  If the instances don't communicate together,
it may be a bit too much.
But there's really not much logic to implement here, so you could even
think about implementing that yourself in a small bundle : poll for a list
of features to install at a known location, if there are any changes, call
the features service with the set of requirements, report the outcome.

Guillaume

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Web: http://fusesource.com
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: Karaf and Ace

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Hari,

I think you can already do this directly with Karaf.

If you want to "push" the updates on the Karaf instances, you can take a
look on Cellar as well.

Regards
JB

--