Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shun-Luoi Daniel Fong <sd...@engineering.uiowa.edu> on 2001/04/10 00:35:38 UTC

mysql jdbc driver

I know this isn't necessarily tomcat related but...

I just downloaded the mysql jdbc driver, mm.mysql-2.0.4-src.jar, from
http://mmmysql.sourceforge.net/

My question is, do I need to just put the jar file in my classpath, or do
I need to extract the files from the jar file and put them somewhere. If I
do need to extract the files, does anybody have any suggestions as to a
good location to place the files/directories? Does it really matter for
when I am using the driver from jsp/servlets?

I'm using tomcat 3.2.1 on linux

Thanks (and sorry for the misplaced question),
Luoi

--
D. Shun-Luoi Fong
821 Melrose Avenue

-----------------------
Colossions 2:8 See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy
or empty deception, according to the traditions of men, according to the
elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
-----------------------

Re: mysql jdbc driver

Posted by Scott Tatum <sc...@wcom.com>.
The best place depends on how you are going to be using it. There are three
main options:

1. in JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext
2. in TOMCAT_HOME/lib
3. in WEB-INF/lib of a given application

I tend to put driver jars like this in 1, since putting it there automatically
makes it available to everything using the JRE. Since I sometimes write
programs outside of Tomcat (e.g. nightly jobs, etc), putting it there makes it
available everywhere automatically, with no changes to the classpath. (note:
only with jdk >= 1.2, which Tomcat requires)

You could put it in 2, if you only need JDBC connectivity to Mysql in your
webapps. You would use #3 if you knew you only needed it for one web app. Jar
files placed in 3 are only visible to the particular web app, jar files placed
in 2 are visible to all web apps, and jar files placed in one are visible
everywhere. Hope this helps.

-Scott
--
Scott Tatum | scott.tatum@wcom.com
Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects