Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Eric S. Raymond" <es...@thyrsus.com> on 2020/12/20 06:08:13 UTC

Is svndump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of incresing timestamp?

Is svnadmin dump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of increasing
timestamp?

Another angle on the same question: Is the timestamp of revision N+1
guaranteed to be not less than the timestamp of N?

I will add the answer to the dump-stream documentation.

To stay young requires the unceasing cultivation of the ability to
unlearn old falsehoods.
	-- Lazarus Long

Re: Is svndump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of incresing timestamp?

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Yasuhito FUTATSUKI wrote on Sun, 20 Dec 2020 16:45 +0900:
> On 2020/12/20 15:08, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > Is svnadmin dump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of increasing
> > timestamp?
> >
> > Another angle on the same question: Is the timestamp of revision N+1
> > guaranteed to be not less than the timestamp of N?
> >
> > I will add the answer to the dump-stream documentation.
>  As revison property svn:date can be set to arbitrary date, there is no
> guarranty that timestamp is monotonically increasing by revision number,
> and svnadmin dump dumps in order of revision number.

svn:date may also be unset (propdel'd).

Re: Is svndump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of incresing timestamp?

Posted by Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@yf.bsdclub.org>.
On 2020/12/20 15:08, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Is svnadmin dump guaranteed to dump revisions in order of increasing
> timestamp?
>
> Another angle on the same question: Is the timestamp of revision N+1
> guaranteed to be not less than the timestamp of N?
>
> I will add the answer to the dump-stream documentation.
 As revison property svn:date can be set to arbitrary date, there is no
guarranty that timestamp is monotonically increasing by revision number,
and svnadmin dump dumps in order of revision number.

Here is a script to make a small example repo.
[[[
#!/bin/sh
if [ -e testrepo -o -e wc ]; then
  echo testrepo or wc exists
  exit 1
fi
svnadmin create testrepo
cat > testrepo/hooks/pre-revprop-change <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
exit 0
EOF
chmod +x testrepo/hooks/pre-revprop-change
svn checkout file://`pwd`/testrepo wc
touch wc/foo.txt
svn add wc/foo.txt
svn commit -m 'initial commit' wc
echo foo >> wc/foo.txt
svn commit -m 'secondary commit' wc
svn propset --revprop -r 2 svn:date '1970-01-01T00:00:00.0Z' wc
svnadmin dump testrepo
]]]

This can be also occured if we use some tools to import commits
including svnadmin itself.

Cheers,
--
Yasuhito FUTATSUKI <fu...@yf.bsclub.org>