Posted to general@james.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/15 21:01:04 UTC

James as a JavaEE Connector

Hi All,

I have the goal to be able to hook James into TomEE as a JavaEE Connector and receive and process mail.  Hoping it's an afternoon or two of work, but I suspect I may be disappointed :)

At a high level it appears I need to get James setup and the mailet support setup, whatever that might entail.

First, not sure which branch to use stable (2.x) or trunk (3.x).  The answer to that will likely depend on other details.

Here's what I'll need to turn it into a Connector:

 - The ability to configure everything in code
    - Use James as a plain java library (no shell scripts or separate processes)
    - Ideally Java APIs for configuring instead of XML
    - Add/remove mailets in code while the server is running

My gut says I'd likely be in trunk for much of this -- that's usually the way things go.  Couple questions there:

 - How stable is trunk?
 - Does receiving basic email via mailets work?

Minor side not on Mailets.  Nearly all links from the word "mailet" on the website are to the API.  I haven't yet found the page that says what steps are required to set it up.  Will keep searching, but if someone knows the right like and could post it, excellent.

-David

Re: James as a JavaEE Connector

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

On 16/10/2012 20:52, David Blevins wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2012, at 1:55 AM, Eric Charles <er...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi, see response inline.
>>
>> (also, better to use server-dev@james.apache.org and not general@james.apache.org)
>
> Switched.
>
>> On 15/10/2012 20:01, David Blevins wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have the goal to be able to hook James into TomEE as a JavaEE Connector and receive and process mail.  Hoping it's an afternoon or two of work, but I suspect I may be disappointed :)
>>>

>> We ship a war with a init-servlet that starts james.
>>
>> So integrating james in a web container is validated/compatible, now the JEE connector is another story.
>
> Is this the class you mention?
>
>   - container-spring/src/main/java/org/apache/james/container/spring/context/web/JamesServerWebApplicationContext.java

Yes, that class help to load the resources

> Also, none of the pom.xml files contain 'zip' or 'war'.  Which section of the build creates those?

The packaging is done by the app project (look for maven-war-plugin in
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/app/trunk/pom.xml)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi, see response inline.

(also, better to use server-dev@james.apache.org and not
general@james.apache.org)

On 15/10/2012 20:01, David Blevins wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have the goal to be able to hook James into TomEE as a JavaEE Connector and receive and process mail.  Hoping it's an afternoon or two of work, but I suspect I may be disappointed :)

We ship a war with a init-servlet that starts james.

So integrating james in a web container is validated/compatible, now the
JEE connector is another story.

> At a high level it appears I need to get James setup and the mailet support setup, whatever that might entail.
>
> First, not sure which branch to use stable (2.x) or trunk (3.x).  The answer to that will likely depend on other details.
>
> Here's what I'll need to turn it into a Connector:
>
>   - The ability to configure everything in code
>      - Use James as a plain java library (no shell scripts or separate processes)
>      - Ideally Java APIs for configuring instead of XML
>      - Add/remove mailets in code while the server is running
>

> My gut says I'd likely be in trunk for much of this -- that's usually the way things go.  Couple questions there:
>
>   - How stable is trunk?

By definition, unstable but usable.

>   - Does receiving basic email via mailets work?

Yes

http://james.apache.org/server/3/config-mailetcontainer.html