Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeremy <jf...@hotmail.com> on 2005/11/24 10:42:35 UTC

Getting RHSBLs to work

Hi all,
Am I correct in assuming that in order to get RHSBL rules to work -
specifically, rules which use "eval:check_rbl_from_host" - then I must first
have set skip_rbl_checks to 0 in my local.cf file? I'm using SA 3.0.4.

Currently I have skip_rbl_checks set to 1 and I'm finding that the RHSBL
rules I have (eg. AHBL) don't appear to be working. I'm guessing this is the
reason.

I do know that the skip_rbl_checks rule is used for enabling or disabling
all the DNSBL rules in the 20_dnsbl_tests.cf file.

The thing is this: I would like to be able to use a couple of RHSBL rules,
but I would not like to use all the DNSBL rules in the 20_dnsbl_tests.cf
file. That's beause my MTA does it's own DNSBL checks, so I don't need the
multitude of additional DNSBL checks that SA does. I just want the RHSBL
ones which I have custom added.

So, what is the easiest/best way of enabling the RHSBL rules (which use
"eval:check_rbl_from_host") while still disabling all the rules within
20_dnsbl_tests.cf?

I know one solution is to set the scores of the DNSBL rules to 0 in my
local.cf - but there are so many DNSBL rules in 20_dnsbl_tests.cf that I'd
prefer to find another solution if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: Getting RHSBLs to work

Posted by wolfgang <me...@gmx.net>.
In an older episode (Thursday, 24. November 2005 10:42), Jeremy wrote:
> That's beause my MTA does it's own DNSBL checks, so I don't need the
> multitude of additional DNSBL checks that SA does.

If I am not mistaken, SA's DNSBL checks will also score mails that have passed
thru some listed host on the way to your MTA. So they would catch mails that
blocking at the MTA level will not catch. If your system resources allow it,
I would suggest to use DNSBL checks anyway.

cheers,

wolfgang

Re: Getting RHSBLs to work

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 04:42 AM 11/24/2005, Jeremy wrote:
>Hi all,
>Am I correct in assuming that in order to get RHSBL rules to work -
>specifically, rules which use "eval:check_rbl_from_host" - then I must first
>have set skip_rbl_checks to 0 in my local.cf file? I'm using SA 3.0.4.

Yes, or have it not set at all.

>Currently I have skip_rbl_checks set to 1 and I'm finding that the RHSBL
>rules I have (eg. AHBL) don't appear to be working. I'm guessing this is the
>reason.

Correct.. RHSBL's are lumped in with other RBLs, and if you have
skip_rbl_checks set to 1 they all become disabled.

>I do know that the skip_rbl_checks rule is used for enabling or disabling
>all the DNSBL rules in the 20_dnsbl_tests.cf file.

It disables them categoricaly. All the RBL-type evals will bail out and do
nothing if that's set.

>The thing is this: I would like to be able to use a couple of RHSBL rules,
>but I would not like to use all the DNSBL rules in the 20_dnsbl_tests.cf
>file. That's beause my MTA does it's own DNSBL checks, so I don't need the
>multitude of additional DNSBL checks that SA does. I just want the RHSBL
>ones which I have custom added.
>
>So, what is the easiest/best way of enabling the RHSBL rules (which use
>"eval:check_rbl_from_host") while still disabling all the rules within
>20_dnsbl_tests.cf?

You have two options:
1) use score statements to disable the un-needed RBLs.. such as:
         score RCVD_IN_XYZ 0

2) remove 20_dnsbl_tests.cf, but that will probably cause lint warnings
because of the score statements in 50_scores.cf, so you''ll have to hunt
out and remove the offending score lines.

Generally speaking, I'd recommend option 1. tweaking the .cf files in
/usr/share/spamassassin can be a pain to recover from if you make a
mistake, and the changes will be blown away if you upgrade.