Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by as...@netcom.no on 2002/06/26 10:50:24 UTC

Middlegen+XDoclet+Velocity

Hi boys and girls,

I have developed a tool called Middlegen
(http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/) that uses Velocity internally.
Put simply, Middlegen scans database metadata and makes it available to
Velocity templates via context objects.

-But it's more than that: It has a GUI and you can write plugins. One
of the plugins generates Entity Beans with XDoclet
(http://xdoclet.sf.net/) tags.

My question is: Can you put up a link to Middlegen on Velocity's news
page? Note that only the CVS version of Middlegen uses Velocity, but
it's quite stable.

I am also one of the XDoclet developers, and we recently voted that
we'll go Jakarta (if Jakarta accepts us). Before we go Jakarta, we'll
refactor XDoclet to use Velocity as a template engine instead of our
homegrown one. XDoclet has got tremendous success and is one of the top
SF projects. I'm just informing about this on this list in case anybody
wants to participate in the Middlegen+XDoclet+Velocity marriage.

Cheers,
Aslak

Re: Middlegen+XDoclet+Velocity

Posted by Jeff Duska <Je...@noaa.gov>.
Just a few FYIs that may or may not help. I'm not sure if you've heard
of this project, but there is something called vdoclet
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdoclet/. I think it is just getting
started, but you might want to let them know that you are moving to
Velocity. There might even be some code you could use.

After taking a brief look ad Middlegen, it looks very cool, I thought it
would neat if the GUI worked with Torque. You might want to take a look
at the Torque on http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/

Nice job.

Later,

Jeff

Re: Middlegen+XDoclet+Velocity

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 6/26/02 4:50 AM, "aslak.hellesoy@netcom.no" <as...@netcom.no>
wrote:

> Hi boys and girls,
>
> I have developed a tool called Middlegen
> (http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/) that uses Velocity internally.
> Put simply, Middlegen scans database metadata and makes it available to
> Velocity templates via context objects.
>
> -But it's more than that: It has a GUI and you can write plugins. One
> of the plugins generates Entity Beans with XDoclet
> (http://xdoclet.sf.net/) tags.
>
> My question is: Can you put up a link to Middlegen on Velocity's news
> page? Note that only the CVS version of Middlegen uses Velocity, but
> it's quite stable.

I added it to the powered-by page, and will be happy to put it under news
when you get it into a release.

> I am also one of the XDoclet developers, and we recently voted that
> we'll go Jakarta (if Jakarta accepts us). Before we go Jakarta, we'll
> refactor XDoclet to use Velocity as a template engine instead of our
> homegrown one. XDoclet has got tremendous success and is one of the top
> SF projects. I'm just informing about this on this list in case anybody
> wants to participate in the Middlegen+XDoclet+Velocity marriage.

This would be *great*.  Do you need any help to get Velocity in there?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.