Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2014/02/07 03:14:39 UTC

The 3rd HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC2) is available for download

The 3rd HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC2) is available for download at
http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.0RC2/<http://people.apache.org/~apurtell/0.98.0RC1/>
and
Maven artifacts are also available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1005<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1003>

Signed with my code signing key D5365CCD.

HBase 0.98.0 is the next major release after HBase 0.96. It is expected to
be wire compatible with HBase 0.96, so clients and servers mixed between
these versions will seamlessly interoperate, provided new features
available in 0.98 are not enabled. However, the HBase 0.98.0 release is not
intended to be binary compatible at the Java API level with any HBase 0.96
release or earlier. You may need to recompile applications which reference
the HBase JARs. Users of HBase 0.94 will have to perform an offline data
migration procedure during upgrade. Consult the HBase Online Manual for
more information. It is not necessary to migrate data from 0.94 to 0.98
through 0.96, you can upgrade from 0.94 to 0.98 directly if desired
following the same procedure for upgrading from 0.94 to 0.96.

This release includes several new security features like per-cell
visibility labels, per-cell ACLs, transparent encryption, and related
changes to the coprocessor framework. Please see the Security section of
the HBase Online Manual for more information. There are significant
performance improvements, such as a change to the write ahead log (WAL)
threading model that provides higher transaction throughput under high
load, reverse scanners, MapReduce over snapshot files, and striped
compaction. The list of changes in this release can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12323143

Please try out the candidate and vote +1/-1 by midnight Pacific Time (00:00
-0800 GMT) on February 13 on whether or not we should release this as
0.98.0.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: The 3rd HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC2) is available for download

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 based on the following:

   - verified md5
   - compiles
   - run unit test suite which passed
   - run LoadTestTool in a 4 node cluster

Cheers

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>wrote:

> everything looks good except for the annoying "Failed to retrieve
> nio.BufferPool direct MemoryUsed" debug line...

That was introduced on HBASE-10116. It only impacts JDK6, as that version
of the JDK doesn't export this bean. I can look into suppressing the
warning when JDK6 is detected if you'd like (though I thought this version
was a dying breed); certainly shouldn't sink the RC. Maybe a cleanup for
1.0? If it bothers you greatly, please file a ticket, assign to me.

-n

Posted by Aleksandr Shulman <al...@cloudera.com>.
+1 from me.

I ran Integration Tests against an 11-node cluster and they passed.
I also ran our smoke tests against it. That was fine as well.
Finally, we ran a JDiff report and there were no incompatibilities outside
of the ones we discussed in previous RCs.

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:46 PM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

--
Best Regards,

Aleks Shulman
847.814.5804
Cloudera

Re: The 3rd HBase 0.98.0 release candidate (RC2) is available for download

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by Anoop John <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>wrote:

> everything looks good except
> for the annoying "Failed to retrieve nio.BufferPool direct MemoryUsed"
> debug line...

We have a JIRA for that?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
+1

Downloaded the hadoop2 tarball, ran some PE, everything looks good except
for the annoying "Failed to retrieve nio.BufferPool direct MemoryUsed"
debug line...

J-D

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

I checked signatures and tarballs while making the RC.

I have also done some testing of 0.98.0RC2 with Hadoop 2.3.0-SNAPSHOT, and
things seem good. Ran LoadTestTool against a small cluster, mixed
read/write load, and latencies and operation/sec measurements were within
the range I would expect. No errors or unexpected messages in the logs. I
then repeated this with HFile V3, HFile encryption enabled, WAL encryption
enabled, with all of the security coprocessors installed (AccessController,
TokenProvider, and VisibilityController), with encryption specified in the
schema, with encryption and compression specified in the schema. Nothing
strange seen.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1 (again).

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
+1

- Downloaded artifacts for -hadoop1-bin -hadoop2-bin and -src
 - Verified checksums for the artifacts
 - Verified signatures
 - Checked out documentation
 - Checked out layouts for artifacts
 - Verified hadoop versions
 - Run local cluster
 - Build source artifact with hadoop1 and hadoop2
 - bin/hbase org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.LoadTestTool -write 10:10:100
-num_keys 1000000 -read 100:30

Enis

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 1:37 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1 (again).

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
With 8 +1 votes (6 binding), no +/- 0 votes, and no -1 votes, this vote
carries. RC2 is Apache HBase 0.98.0. Let me work on getting the release
bits into place.

A big thank you to all contributors to and testers of this release!

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,