Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Madison Kelly <li...@alteeve.com> on 2006/09/18 17:07:37 UTC

Solved! (was: Re: WinXP Client; recommendations?)

Thanks to all who replied (and there were a lot!!) :)

I didn't realize that the install:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91
was the client (looked like the server). This does the job perfectly,
thank you!

As for why I am not using TortoiseSVN, it wasn't a problem with the
program itself but with the installer. It requires installing an updated
MS Installer (in SP2) which was more than I am willing to do to install
one program. I am sure the program itself is great. :p

Madison

Re: [OT] Solved! (was: Re: WinXP Client; recommendations?)

Posted by Mark Clements <gm...@kennel17.co.uk>.
"Thomas Hemmer" <th...@go-engineering.de> wrote in message
> Madison,
>
> if you are hesitating whether to install SP2 just in order to update your
> installer, there is surely another solution.
> You can download and install a new version of just the installer and
nothing
> else at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=8894
82fc
> -5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c
>
> It's a matter of minutes until you get TSVN up and running after that.
>

> Enjoy,
>
> Thomas

For Win2k you still need SP3 or SP4 - it (apparently - untested) will not
work on SP2 or lower.

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)

Re: Solved! (was: Re: WinXP Client; recommendations?)

Posted by Mark Clements <gm...@kennel17.co.uk>.
"Madison Kelly" <li...@alteeve.com> wrote in message
> Thanks to all who replied (and there were a lot!!) :)
>
> I didn't realize that the install:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91
> was the client (looked like the server). This does the job perfectly,
> thank you!
>
> As for why I am not using TortoiseSVN, it wasn't a problem with the
> program itself but with the installer. It requires installing an updated
> MS Installer (in SP2) which was more than I am willing to do to install
> one program. I am sure the program itself is great. :p
>
> Madison

You may want to check out an earlier version of TortoiseSVN, which can be
installed on Win2K SP2.  I use v1.2.6, which is compatible (as far as I am
aware) with any more recent version of the SVN server, though possibly with
reduced functionality.  It is avilable here.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisesvn/TortoiseSVN-1.2.6.4786-svn-1.
2.3.msi?download

Note that if you are also planning to use the command-line client you will
probably need to get matching versions - in particular SVN 1.4.0 uses
incompatible working copies.

- Mark Clements (HappyDog)

Re: Solved!

Posted by Madison Kelly <li...@alteeve.com>.
Andy Levy wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Madison Kelly <li...@alteeve.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to all who replied (and there were a lot!!) :)
>>
>> I didn't realize that the install:
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91
>> was the client (looked like the server). This does the job perfectly,
>> thank you!
>>
>> As for why I am not using TortoiseSVN, it wasn't a problem with the
>> program itself but with the installer. It requires installing an updated
>> MS Installer (in SP2) which was more than I am willing to do to install
>> one program. I am sure the program itself is great. :p
>
> Unless you have software or some other requirement/restriction that
> prevents you from installing SP2, you really should install it anyway,
> just for the massive security fixes it includes.  Eventually you'll
> have to as more programs start requiring the newer installer and
> features/fixes that are included in it as well.

I agree completely, but at this moment it isn't feasible. Once it's done
though, I'll certainly look into TortoiseSVN. :)

Madi

Re: Solved! (was: Re: WinXP Client; recommendations?)

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.
Madison,