Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ryan Smith <ry...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/05 14:28:39 UTC

network interface trunking

Hello everyone,
If I have a machine (DN) with 2 network cards, can i get double bandwidth
for my data node in hadoop?
Or is the preferred solution to link aggregate the 2 interfaces on the os
layer?  Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
-Ryan

Re: network interface trunking

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Ryan,
Yes, you can do this -- the term is called "interface bonding" and isn't too
hard to set up in Linux as long as your switch supports it. However, it is
pretty rare that it provides an appreciable performance benefit on typical
hardware and workloads -- probably not worth the doubled switch port
requirement in most cases.

-Todd