Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jon * <jo...@clearink.com> on 1999/11/24 03:27:27 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Javadoc2.java defaults.properties

on 11/23/99 5:38 PM, jons@hyperreal.org <jo...@hyperreal.org> wrote:

> // Assumes that this is in your classpath. Rightnow, it is
> // in the javac.jar file that comes with Ant, but James says that
> // this probably won't be the case in the future. In that case, then
> // we will need to have tools.jar in our classpath in order to find
> // this utility. We could also try executing it via the command line
> // javadoc utility, but that would suck because that would mean that
> // we would have two JVM's running just to generate this stuff. We would
> // also have to pass in a classpath specific for the project. Arg.
> // Why can't Sun make our life easy and allow us to distribute
> // javac.jar with javadoc utility in it?

Here is something even more screwed up...the javadoc.Main() class calls
System.exit() at the end of execution!!! So, you can't have a <target
name="createdistribution" depends="core,javadoc">

Because the stuff in createdistribution won't get executed! How annoying!

-jon

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Javadoc2.javadefaults.properties

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 11/24/99 3:15 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> How about having some Sun folk (which has access to that source code...
> well, we do too if we decompile, but it's illegal to do :) do another
> version of Javadoc.Main() and include it into Ant to prevent this to
> happen?

Read what I wrote in the comments in my previous email...From what james
said to me, it looks like we won't even get javadoc in the main javac.jar
distribution anyways. ;-(

On top of it, I did look at the source for Main.java (take me to jail
please) and there is no way to easily override this because there is all
sorts of scary init() code that needs to be called that is package private.
;-(

> Or give us the hooks we have to call.

I wish. One person from this list sent me a private email saying that he
would send me code that uses a SecurityManager to override the calls to
System.exit(), but I have strong feeling that this code is only 1.2 which
isn't very good for us since we need 1.1 compatibility. On the other hand,
javadoc2 only comes with jdk 1.2 so maybe that isn't such a big worry. ;-)

-jon

Re: cvs commit:jakarta-tools/ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Javadoc2.javadefaults.properties

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
jon * wrote:

> on 11/23/99 5:38 PM, jons@hyperreal.org <jo...@hyperreal.org> wrote:
>
> > // Assumes that this is in your classpath. Rightnow, it is
> > // in the javac.jar file that comes with Ant, but James says that
> > // this probably won't be the case in the future. In that case, then
> > // we will need to have tools.jar in our classpath in order to find
> > // this utility. We could also try executing it via the command line
> > // javadoc utility, but that would suck because that would mean that
> > // we would have two JVM's running just to generate this stuff. We would
> > // also have to pass in a classpath specific for the project. Arg.
> > // Why can't Sun make our life easy and allow us to distribute
> > // javac.jar with javadoc utility in it?
>
> Here is something even more screwed up...the javadoc.Main() class calls
> System.exit() at the end of execution!!! So, you can't have a <target
> name="createdistribution" depends="core,javadoc">
>
> Because the stuff in createdistribution won't get executed! How annoying!

How about having some Sun folk (which has access to that source code...
well, we do too if we decompile, but it's illegal to do :) do another
version of Javadoc.Main() and include it into Ant to prevent this to
happen?

Or give us the hooks we have to call.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.