Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Zhu He <he...@cisco.com> on 2003/05/08 17:32:47 UTC

using ANT as "startup" script?

Hi,
I mainly use ANT as build tools (to replace make).  My question is whether
there are people using it as cross-platform "startup" script?
I don't see many people doing it.

I saw there is <java> task in the core task manual.  Can we use ANT to write
cross-platform startup scripts for java applications?
pros and cons?

thanks.

Zhu

Re: using ANT as "startup" script?

Posted by Dale Anson <da...@germane-software.com>.
This was asked a few weeks ago on this list, you can look back in the
archives to see the full thread, but basically, the major drawback is
that Ant would be required to already be installed.

Dale

Posted by Jens Skripczynski <sk...@myrealbox.com>.
Zhu He:
> I mainly use ANT as build tools (to replace make).  My question is whether
> there are people using it as cross-platform "startup" script?
> I don't see many people doing it.
>
> I saw there is <java> task in the core task manual.  Can we use ANT to write
> cross-platform startup scripts for java applications?
> pros and cons?
I belief there are many pros for running programs. But currently you cannot
start a java service, because ant waits for it to finish and won't return to a
shell.

The ant script I wrote for tomcat looked much cleaner, was only one (instead
of 2), and so should be easier to maintain...

The only contra I can think of is, that your program has the prerequisite to
have ant installed to run your program, but I belief that ant (if not already)
becomes so popular, that i may get shipped with a jkd. Tomcat-le 4.1.24
already ships ant by default.

So only a small contra.

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
--
E-Mail: skripi-lists(at)myrealbox(dot)com

True ignorance is not the absence of knowledge, but the refusal to acquire it.
                                   -- Karl Popper