Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Khosrova, Eliza " <El...@usa.xerox.com> on 2000/02/15 00:05:20 UTC

problems using FOP

Hello,

I am trying to run FOP using method # 2 (mentioned in
http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html).  When I run it, it says that FOP
only accepts 2 arguments which are fo-file and pdf-file.  Does this mean
method 2 is not supported yet or I am doing something wrong?

Also, on method 1, it says we should first generate the fo-file using xslt
engine.  Could you tell me where do I get the xslt engine and what is the
file I have to run to create fo-file from an xml-file?

I would appreciate an immediate reply if possible.

Thanks in advance

Re: problems using FOP

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <Fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
> I am trying to run FOP using method # 2 (mentioned in
> http://xml.apache.org/fop/running.html).  When I run it, it says that FOP
> only accepts 2 arguments which are fo-file and pdf-file.  Does this mean
> method 2 is not supported yet or I am doing something wrong?
No, the documentation is wrong. Method 2 is invoced by:
java org.apache.fop.apps.XTCommandLine xml-file xslt-file pdf-file

It must be "XTCommandLine".

To make things worse: This method is actually broken in release version 0.12.0.

> Also, on method 1, it says we should first generate the fo-file using xslt
> engine.  Could you tell me where do I get the xslt engine and what is the
> file I have to run to create fo-file from an xml-file?
XSLT processors are Xalan from xml.apache.org or xt from www.jclark.com
You have to learn 2 'languages' before you can convert an xml file to an pdf file:

1. xslt: the transformation language
2. xsl-fo: the target layout 'language'

Further links are on the website.

Hth,