Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by David Harvey <dh...@gardnersys.com> on 2001/03/13 16:51:30 UTC

Re: cannot deploy service (getNamespaceURI) RESOLVED

With help from previous posters, thanks to the archive on
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/, I have finally figured out the problem.
Sorry about the long post but this might help others.  Thanks to
mark_m_miller@hp.com who previously posted the clue about
%JAVA_HOME%/jre/lib/ext/xml.jar.

Just to review, I had two nearly identical win2k machines, both running
tomcat as localhost server, one was working (i.e. running the samples OK)
and the other was not.  Xerces.jar was the first entry in the classpath on
both.  Both had identical tomcat.bat and server.xml.

Tomcat reported (on both machines) the following on startup,  as you can see
xml.jar is not referenced anywhere:

Using CLASSPATH: c:\dev\soap\soap-2_1;c:\dev\Xerces\xerces-1_3_0\xerces.jar;
c:\dev\Soap\soap-2_1\lib\soap.jar;c:\dev\javamail-1.2\mail.jar;c:\dev\jaf-1.
0.1\activation.jar;
c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\classes;c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-3.
2.1\lib\ant.jar;
c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\lib\jaxp.jar;c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomc
at-3.2.1\lib\servlet.jar;
c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\lib\parser.jar;c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-to
mcat-3.2.1\lib\webserver.jar;
c:\dev\jakarta\jakarta-tomcat-3.2.1\lib\jasper.jar;c:\jdk1.3\lib\tools.jar

The following is typical of what I was getting when I tried to do almost
anything:

C:\dev\Soap>java -cp
.;c:\dev\soap\soap-2_1;c:\dev\xerces\xerces-1_3_0\xerces.jar;c:\dev\Soap\soa
p-2_1\lib\soap.jar;c:\dev\javamail-1.2\mail.jar;c:\dev\jaf-1.0.1\activation.
jar org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
        at org.apache.soap.util.xml.QName.<init>(QName.java:80)
....(more stack here - not relavent)

Examination of the source (QName.java line 80) shows Node.getNamespaceURI()
is not found.  This is a function in xerces but not in the sun xml.jar.

The classpath used by tomcat (shown when tomcat starts) showed Xerces.jar as
the first entry, as required.  xml.jar does not appear did not appear
anywhere on any classpath.  The solution was to delete
%JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext\xml.jar from my machine.  I new tomcat was using it
because when I tried to delete it I couldn't because it was in use.

Now the question is: how does xml.jar get used by tomcat if it is not in
tomcat.bat or passed in as the classpath?   I looked thru the tomcat.bat but
I can find no reference to anything in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext.  I have
xml.jar in this location on the machine that works and tomcat doesn't have
any problem.

Thanks,

David Harvey
Sr. Software Engineer, Siemens Energy and Automation Inc. Gardner
Transportation Systems Buisiness Unit

Re: cannot deploy service (getNamespaceURI) RESOLVED

Posted by David Harvey <dh...@gardnersys.com>.
Graham, thanks again.
It's nice to know that sun is taking care of use and loading extentions for
us BEFORE the classpath and burying such a lovely feature (not!) in the
docs.  Sounds like the machinations of another software company slightly
north of silicon valley.