Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark A Christofferson <mc...@lsu.edu> on 2002/12/20 05:30:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Question concerning https/http and another concerning subdomains

I am current designing the outlook of a departmental webserver for my
university, and I have run into the following two questions.  I have
searched the FAQ...etc....but if I overlooked them I apologize and please
direct me to them.

Question #1: Is there a method by which I would be able to operate one
apache webserver operating on the https protocol, but allow it to accept
users typing the standard http:// rather than https://.  This would provide
less change for the users, and more security for the system.

Question #2: How would I go about creating a subdomain in
apache, for example if my webserver is www.csc.lsu.edu, how could I create
a "subweb" bearing the URL classes.csc.lsu.edu?

Thank you for your assistance

Re: [users@httpd] Question concerning https/http and another concerning subdomains

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
Mark,

For question #1, you can setup a http redirect to the https URL.
For question #2, set up the DNS entry for www.csc.lsu.edu and set a virtual
host to use that URL. The information was provided by Ryan.

Hope that helps.

-Aaron