Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Yannick Menager <ym...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/08/02 11:29:44 UTC

Improved logged capacities

One thing that has been bothering me alot on my current project is how
constraining the current log architecture of Ant.

I was considering writing a modification that would use log4J and give greater
flexibility in control of the logging

(i.e. including having a tasks like
<log category="build.gendocs" priority="warning" message="BLA"/>
)

any comments or suggestions ?

Re: Improved logged capacities

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Yannick Menager <ym...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> One thing that has been bothering me alot on my current project is
> how constraining the current log architecture of Ant.

I'm not sure I understand what you are after.

> I was considering writing a modification that would use log4J and
> give greater flexibility in control of the logging

Take a look at the <record> task and at writing a custom
BuildListener, what exactly are you missing (<record> should probably
support stuff other than logging to a file).

For Ant2, we've agreed to improve the logging system somewhat (see
<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/ant2/features.html>).

> (i.e. including having a tasks like
> <log category="build.gendocs" priority="warning" message="BLA"/>
> )

Except for the category, <echo> pretty much supports that.

Stefan