Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/24 22:13:22 UTC

How does (or should) the VS Addin deal with unit tests?

How does the VS Addin currently deal with unit tests?

Does it have a hard-coded value for a directory name that it "knows"
contains tests which are excluded from packaging?  (As discussed in
comments on [1].)

How does this compare to the command line?

The VS solutions I'm looking at are using a separate 'project' for the
tests.  Assuming NMaven and the Addin support "ignoring" a directory
containing tests, so that tests can be in the same module as the
project code, is that also supported somehow by VS?

I've opened NMAVEN-152 [2] to improve this, though I probably don't
have a complete understanding yet and it will need to be edited.

[1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/NMaven+Project+Directory+Structure
[2] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/NMAVEN-152

Wendy

Re: How does (or should) the VS Addin deal with unit tests?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
What's the current state of things wrt NMaven and unit testing?

With the latest code (the patches may not all be out here yet) I'm seeing:

1. A prompt to identify which assemblies should be considered Test assemblies.

2. No <testSourceDirectory> in the generated pom

3. maven-test-plugin configuration in the generated pom:
        <configuration>
          <integrationTest>true</integrationTest>
        </configuration>

What does this mean?  I'm trying to get _unit_ tests to run (no luck so far.)

Maven already has a separate integration-test phase, so that
configuration is a bit confusing.  (Am I running unit tests or
integration tests?  In which phase?)

Can we establish some conventions and get unit testing to work by
default, as it does with Maven?

Posted by Jan Stevens Ancajas <ja...@exist.com>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Jan Stevens Ancajas <ja...@exist.com>
> wrote:
>
> > For the VS addin  it knows the test directory through the pom which is
> > assumed that it is located side by side with the selected csproj file .
> If
> > the pom is not located there, it traverses 3 directories up (for the "2
> > csproj  1 pom.xml" setup, where the dir structure is assumed to be
> > "src\test\csharp" )
>
> Ouch.  That must be what is breaking the Addin when using it with
> projects created from Visual Studio, since they do not have
> subdirectories for the source code.  Anything hard coded like that is
> going to be a problem... but <sourceDirectory> should tell you where
> the code is?

Correct.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Stevens Ancajas <ja...@exist.com>.