Posted to dev@community.apache.org by B Prakash <bp...@hotmail.com> on 2015/09/11 07:58:42 UTC

Unable to find bug tracker list

Hello,

     I am interested in contributing to ASF.  Though I have been thinking about it for a while I got the time only now.  I have been going through the site looking for bugs list as stated in the ASF 'Where do I start' page ie 101.html but I couldnt find it please help.  Following is the section in the page that points to bugs list.

"If you are trying to satisfy a specific technical problem then you already know what you want to work on, but if you are looking for something useful to do in order to participate in an ASF project then the projects issue/bug tracker is your friend (this will be linked from the projects home page or from its entry on the projects page linked above).

In the projects issue tracker you will find details of bugs and feature requests the project would like to work with, this should give you some inspiration about how you might be able to help the project community. If you are looking for a beginner level issue try searching JIRA for issues with the label "GSoC" or "mentor", these are issues the community feel are manageable for someone new to the ASF and their project. The community has also indicated that they are willing to help someone work on those issues through our mentoring program<https://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#NewbieFAQ-AbouttheApacheMentoringProgramme>.

"

Regards,

Prakash

Re: Unable to find bug tracker list

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
Well you should first select a project and drop a mail on the project's
mailing list.
This should be the first step - To find a project that you would LOVE to
work on. You can always work on multiple projects as well.

The contributors of the project would be the best people to help you out
with further steps.

Hope it helps. Feel free to ask more questions otherwise :)

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM, B Prakash <bp...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Yash, Lefty,
>
>        Thanks very much, I have a lot of experience in Java EE and other
> opensources.  I have finished more than 25+ successful java EE enterprise
> production implementations.
>         1. I wanted to start contributing to ASF, I wouldn't mind the
> project (not for now) , and hence like the 'new comer' section suggested, I
> am looking at all the defects, GSOC and Mentor defects, but I haven't come
> across anything relevant.  Is it possible that any of you could share a
> potential 'defect' as an example, I will try to look for others on the
> similar lines?
>          2. Should I look for bugs with status 'New', or type as bug,
> implementation, new feature...   Is there any specific logic to this?
> Regards,
> Prakash.

> or check whether any new messages have arrived since you joined the list.
>
> -- Lefty
>

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Prashant Tyagi,
> > Adding you to this mail list since you have similar questions.
> >
> > Do not hesitate to ask other questions, someone will always be around to
> > answer. And pardon us for late answers; everyone dedicates personal hours
> > for community and sometimes we miss couple of threads.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > - Via mobile. Excuse brevity.
> > On 13 Sep 2015 4:31 pm, "Yash Sharma" <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Prakash,
> > > 1. As a starting point your java knowledge should be good enough since
> > > most of the projects have newbie/trivial tasks which you can pick up.
> > > However the sooner you start understanding the project the easier it
> > would
> > > be for you to pick up critical and interesting tasks. Most projects
> also
> > > entertain contributions as docs which should be a good starting point
> as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > 2. Users and Dev list should again be good to start with. If you have
> not
> > > got any mails that just means there is no conversation going on and
> > people
> > > are enjoying the weekend.
> > >
> > > Having said that, enjoy working on project of your choice and drop a
> note
> > > in case you stumble upon any issues.
> > >
> > > Happy Coding!
> > >
> > > - Via mobile. Excuse brevity.

> more
> > more
> > language
> Committers,
> confirmation
> this
> > the

Prakaskh (and Prashant), each project has a mailing list archive
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/>.  You can browse old messages

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yash Sharma <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prashant Tyagi,