Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2003/04/02 16:07:39 UTC

Maven initial project creation throws an exception and dies

Hi all,

According to the manual, it is possible for maven to create an initial
project directory structure like so:

maven -Dpackage=za.co.fma.patricia patricia

When I try it, I get an exception like so:

  __  __
|  \/  |__ Jakarta _ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|   v. 1.0-beta-8

org.apache.maven.MavenException: Unable to extract plugin:
/opt/maven-1.0-beta-8/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin-1.1.jar
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.initialize(PluginManager.java:271)
	at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initializePluginManager(MavenSession.java:305)
	at org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initialize(MavenSession.java:245)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:507)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1074)
	at
	at
	at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:543)
	at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:573)
--- Nested Exception ---
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/maven-1.0-beta-8/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin-1.1/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
(No such file or directory)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:176)
	at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:131)
	at org.apache.maven.util.Expand.extractFile(Expand.java:192)
	at org.apache.maven.util.Expand.expandFile(Expand.java:124)
	at org.apache.maven.util.Expand.execute(Expand.java:104)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.initialize(PluginManager.java:267)
	at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initializePluginManager(MavenSession.java:305)
	at org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initialize(MavenSession.java:245)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:507)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1074)
	at
	at
	at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:543)
	at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:573)
Total time:  2 seconds

Does any of this mean anything to anyone? Or do I have to set up the
directories myself?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Maven initial project creation throws an exception and dies

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@opentechnet.com>.
    From several messages:

If you install Maven as root and want non-root users to use it, you should
have a look at this patch:

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewIssue.jspa?key=MAVEN-302

You can apply the patch in less than a minute. (You must be a really busy
guy).

1) Detach the patch3.txt file to the maven root dir (your CVS checkout).
Then do:
2) patch -p 0 < patch3.txt

Then you must rebuild.

> What's the status of this patch? Is it something you're considering to
> apply?

Yes, it will be applied. I've just been super swamped with the Day
Job(tm).

    Alternatively, you can have a copy for each user or give permissions
to all users. I guess in this case you could have clashes when different
users where accessing mavenat the same time. But I'm a newbie, so maybe
anyone else could give other opinions.

    Regards
    Jose

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jg...@opentechnet.com>.

Graham Leggett wrote:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
>> Oh, and do you have write permissions to
>> /opt/maven-1.0-beta-8/plugins/*?
>

> No - why would a normal user need write access to this directory?
>
> Regards,
> Graham

Re: Maven initial project creation throws an exception and dies

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
We really should FAQ this. But the very first run of maven expands the
plugins in the $MAVEN_HOME directory. It's a known bug. And will be fixed
for 1.0.....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:

> Oh, and do you have write permissions to /opt/maven-1.0-beta-8/plugins/*?

No - why would a normal user need write access to this directory?

Regards,
Graham

Re: Maven initial project creation throws an exception and dies

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Where's the genapp goal?