Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Scott Wegner <sw...@google.com> on 2018/05/29 23:32:26 UTC

Design Proposal: Beam-Site Automation Reliability

I've been looking into the beam-site merge automation reliability, and I'd
like to get some early feedback on ideas for improvement. Please take a
look at https://s.apache.org/beam-site-automation:

> Apache Beam's website is maintained via the beam-site Git repository,
with a set of automation that manages the workflow from merging a pull
request to publishing. The automation is centralized in a tool called
Mergebot, which was built for Beam and donated to the ASF. However, the
automation has been somewhat unreliable, and when there are issues, very
few individuals have the necessary permissions and expertise to resolve
them. Overall, the reliability of Beam-site automation is impeding
productivity for Beam-site development.

At this point I'm seeking feedback on a few possible solutions:

1. Invest in improvements to Mergebot reliability. Make stability tweaks
for various failure modes, distribute Mergebot expertise and operations
permissions to more committers.
2. Deprecate Mergebot and revert to manual process. With the current
unreliability, some committers choose to forego merge automation anyway.
3. Generate HTML only during publishing. This seems to be newly supported
by the Apache GitPubSub workflow. This would eliminate most or all of the
automation that Mergebot is responsible for.

Feel free to add comments in the doc.

Thanks,
Scott

Got feedback? tinyurl.com/swegner-feedback

Re: Design Proposal: Beam-Site Automation Reliability

Posted by Udi Meiri <eh...@google.com>.
FYI, we are about to add a new branch to apache/beam, named 'asf-site',
which will contain generated website sources.

Posted by Jason Kuster <ja...@google.com>.

Posted by Scott Wegner <sw...@google.com>.

Posted by Scott Wegner <sw...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.