Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 14:46:51 UTC

Re: Modify Standalone solr server to use it application without http request

Currently, the page you referenced here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication

is the standard way to replicate incremental indexes.
You say your "worried about the extra http". Why?
Do you have any evidence that this would be a problem?
Http isn't inherently inefficient at all, and even if it was,
the slave asking occasionally if the master's index has
changed (say once every 5-10 minutes) isn't a worry.

The actual replication itself isn't costly protocol-wise.

So, just try it. Coming up in Solr 4.0 is "distributed indexing"
which is a whole different approach, but it's not released yet.

Best
Erick

Posted by Neel <ne...@aspiresys.com>.
Hi Erick,

Sorry for confusing you. My concern was consuming Standalone solr server
through my application can lead additional http requests.

I tried to access standalone server using CommonsHttpSolrServer in app and
found it works same as embedded solr server and no code change needed and
not much difference in performance as well.

Thanks,
Neel

Re: Modify Standalone solr server to use it application without http request

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I'm really confused here. Your first question seemed to be about http
involved in index replication, which really doesn't seem to be
related to your latest post. Can you start over from the beginning?

Best
Erick