Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by maximus meridius <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2006/02/19 21:37:32 UTC

subversion & patch management utilities

Hi,

I'm quite new to using svn and I decided to start
using it to track
changes in third-party software for assessing impact
(mainly api
changes) that may affect our own software. I am
combining this with
issue tracking using trac from edgewall.com. I have
setup DAV access to
the repository and can use trac to browse the
repository and changesets.

The approach that I am taking is to import the first
release into an svn
repository. I then use unix diff to generate a patch
file that contains
the changes for a subsequent release. After applying
the patch file to
the working copy of the first release, my working copy
now has the
changes for the second release integrated. The problem
is that this does
not account for files added or deleted between
releases. Are there any
utilities available that can generate a patch file, an
archive of the
added files and a set of svn add and svn delete
operations.

Is there a site containing resources such as the
repository management
utilities I am looking for?

Thanks,

Graeme

Re: subversion & patch management utilities

Posted by "kauer@ethz" <ka...@biplane.com.au>.
On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 13:37 -0800, maximus meridius wrote:
> The approach that I am taking is to import the first
> release into an svn repository. I then use unix diff to generate a patch
> file that contains the changes for a subsequent release. After applying
> the patch file to the working copy of the first release, my working copy
> now has the changes for the second release integrated. The problem
> is that this does not account for files added or deleted between
> releases. Are there any utilities available that can generate a patch file, an
> archive of the added files and a set of svn add and svn delete
> operations.

If you follow the method given in the SVN book (look in section 7 under
"Vendor branches") then you will get full history of all added and
deleted files, as well as all differences between old and new files.
There's a script that will automate a lot of it for you, too.

Regards, K.