Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Imran Rashid <ir...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2018/08/28 13:50:09 UTC

[VOTE] SPIP: Executor Plugin (SPARK-24918)

There has been discussion on jira & the PR, all generally positive, so I'd
like to call a vote for this spip.

I'll start with own +1.

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Executor Plugin (SPARK-24918)

Posted by Thomas Graves <tg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tom

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.
I get it, the use case here sounds like adding some logic that's not
specific to an app. Adding to every job of every app would be painful then.

Any task can make sure the init has happened, so doesn't matter if later
tasks execute elsewhere. But if the desired init is really for all tasks,
or all apps, that instrumentation would be painful to add even if it works.
That sounds like a valid use case.

The original use cases on the very first JIRA were about things like
initializing some HBase connections for a particular call, or prefetching
some data for logging. This didn't seem so global or non-app-specific in
comparison.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Executor Plugin (SPARK-24918)

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

Class init is not enough because there is nowhere for you to force a
random class to be initialized. This is basically adding that
mechanism, instead of forcing people to add hacks using e.g.
mapPartitions which don't even cover all scenarios.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 7:09 AM, Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org> wrote:
> Still +0 on the idea, as I am still not sure it does much over simple JVM
> mechanisms like a class init. More comments on the JIRA. I can't say it's a
> bad idea though, so would not object to it.
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 8:50 AM Imran Rashid <ir...@cloudera.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>> There has been discussion on jira & the PR, all generally positive, so I'd
>> like to call a vote for this spip.
>>
>> I'll start with own +1.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM Imran Rashid <ir...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose adding a plugin api for Executors, primarily for
>>> instrumentation and debugging
>>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24918).  The changes are small,
>>> but as its adding a new api, it might be spip-worthy.  I mentioned it as
>>> well in a recent email I sent about memory monitoring
>>>
>>> The spip proposal is here (and attached to the jira as well):
>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a20gHGMyRbCM8aicvq4LhWfQmoA5cbHBQtyqIA2hgtc/edit?usp=sharing
>>>
>>> There are already some comments on the jira and pr, and I hope to get
>>> more thoughts and opinions on it.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Imran

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPIP: Executor Plugin (SPARK-24918)

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.