Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Melanie Langlois <Me...@tradingscreen.com> on 2007/03/22 07:03:03 UTC

indexing rss feeds in multiple languages

Hi,

I saw that there are many post on the mailing list about indexing in multiple language, so I will try to not post duplicate question. In my case, I want to index rss feeds, so one feed contains several items in different languages, and some common data for all the items (date, source..).  After reading the different posts, I think I will create a document per item, index them in the same index using each time a language specific analyzer, and store lang field for specific search. But I'm wondering how I should handle the common fields, it seems I have two options:

1 : store the common data in each item. What happen if duplicate information are entered, are they duplicate in the index ?

2 : create a separate document for the common data. In this case I will need to link these data to all underlying items storing some ids. The issue is that I would need to search the index twice if the search is done only per date, because I would need to retrieve the items contents.

Thank in advance for your help.

Mélanie

Re: indexing rss feeds in multiple languages

Posted by Antony Bowesman <ad...@teamware.com>.
Melanie Langlois wrote:
> Well, thanks, sounds like the best option to me. Does anybody use the
> PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper? I'm just curious to know if there is any impact on
> the performances when using different analyzers.

I've not done any specifc comparisons between using a single Analyzer and
multiple Analyzer with PFAW, but our indexes are typically 20-25 fields, each of
which can have a different analyzer depending on language or field type,
although in practice about 8-10 fields may use the non-default analyzer.

Performance is pretty good in any case and there's not been any noticeable
degradtion when tweaking analyzers.
Antony

RE: indexing rss feeds in multiple languages

Posted by Melanie Langlois <Me...@tradingscreen.com>.
Well, thanks, sounds like the best option to me. Does anybody use the PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper? I'm just curious to know if there is any impact on the performances when using different analyzers.

Mélanie

If language is known also at search time, PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper seems a
nice third option: single document per feed, with a separate field for each
language, additional field(s) for the common data;  using
PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper at both indexing and search;  using FieldSelector
at search to retrieve only the relevant field(s) for matched documents.
(never done this myself though.)
- Doron

"Melanie Langlois" <Me...@tradingscreen.com> wrote on 21/03/2007
23:03:03: