Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr> on 2001/03/14 22:56:40 UTC

STATUS - next project

Hi all,

Since I started to change the allocation/content width code in Areas,
I'm planning on going back and trying to do this "right", ie making
allocation and content width correspond to the concepts in the CR. I'm
not sure quite what I'm going to do yet; I thought about this quite a
while back, but there have been rather a lot of changes in the fo and
layout packages since then.

Another thing I want to do is improve border rending in PDF (the half
line-width offset problem) and especially in tables, where our current
approach is quite far from what the CR says it should be (notably,
borders should only be rendered on cells and not on rows and columns!).

Anybody else already mucking about in either of these? If so, just yell
and I will find some other playground.

Cheers,
Karen

Re: Writing-mode and reference-orientation

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 11:44 PM 3/22/01 +0100, Karen Lease wrote:
>Arved,
>
>Judging by your recent RFC, you've gotten away from
>reference-orientation and writing-mode for the moment. I found when I
>started looking at modifying the allocation-width and content-width
>traits on Area that it was probably going to touch the same code as any
>kind of ref-orientation work. Are you still swimming around in there, or
>shall I go for it?

Yeah, I deviated away from those 2 for the moment. Since I did the last work
with breaks, it has bugged me considerably that keeps are still in limbo -
and the ability to do this properly and efficiently ties right into
footnotes, floats etc etc. I am finding it difficult to work on anything
else as long as the above is outstanding.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)

Writing-mode and reference-orientation

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
Arved,

Re: STATUS - next project

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.

Re: STATUS - next project

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.
Hi Arved,

A few comments below...

Arved Sandstrom wrote:

> At 10:56 PM 3/14/01 +0100, Karen Lease wrote:
> >Since I started to change the allocation/content width code in Areas,
> >I'm planning on going back and trying to do this "right", ie making
> >allocation and content width correspond to the concepts in the CR. I'm
> >not sure quite what I'm going to do yet; I thought about this quite a
> >while back, but there have been rather a lot of changes in the fo and
> >layout packages since then.
> >
> >Another thing I want to do is improve border rending in PDF (the half
> >line-width offset problem) and especially in tables, where our current
> >approach is quite far from what the CR says it should be (notably,
> >borders should only be rendered on cells and not on rows and columns!).
> >
> >Anybody else already mucking about in either of these? If so, just yell
> >and I will find some other playground.
>
> I'm still interested in space-specifier resolution...I'm not planning, and
> hadn't been, to deal with the above-mentioned stuff. Except peripherally.

OK. I'll try to keep out of your way.

> I put some thought into your previous long email. My thinking parallels
> yours. I am looking at how we deal with FO storage in the FO tree, and how
> we can leverage that better, in conjunction with making easier and better
> decisions about page-breaks (due to all factors). I believe we are having
> difficulties and doing unnatural things because we are oriented strongly
> towards the Page as the unit of layout processing, and it is probably better
> (IMO) if we key off formatting objects, or groups of formatting objects, for
> layout. It's not black & white, obviously.
>
> This is fuzzy - I can think it better than I can describe it. :-)

KL: Yeah, I have that problem too... I agree 100% about the "unnatural
things"!

Re: STATUS - next project

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.