Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Alex Moon <a....@mdx.ac.uk> on 2003/02/04 12:26:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache port 80 non root user

Hope someone can help.  I have inherited the following problem.
I have to run apache under linux as a user for historical reasons
beyond my control and it cannot easily be moved until atleast
August.  I do have root access to the server but this instance of the
apache has to run as without root privileges.  Can anyone suggest
a work around (or an avenue that i can explore) that would allow me
to use port 80 and 443 on the non privilged version of apache.

I had thought i'd run another copy of apache as root user with a
redirect but then the users would simpy be directed to the
alternative port number and a significant number of users are
restricted to just port 443 and 80 by their network firewalls so i
need the non root user apache to be able to actually comunicate
on port 80.

Out of interest any ideas on what the reasoning could have been
behind installing it as non root user?
Thanks
Alex

Technical Manager
Online Learning Support Unit
Middlesex University Business School

a.moon@mdx.ac.uk
020 8411 5092

Re: [users@httpd] Apache port 80 non root user

Posted by Razvan Costea-Barlutiu <cb...@laitek.com>.
>Out of interest any ideas on what the reasoning could have been
>behind installing it as non root user?

Depends on the version of Apache you are running... Some versions had
buffer-overrun problems and I believe that this is the reason why the
persons before did not wanted to have Apache run in root mode since such an
attack could grant somebody with root access on your server, a thing you
really don't want.

Regards,
--Razvan