Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Konstantine Karantasis <kk...@apache.org> on 2021/09/08 21:58:42 UTC

[VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Hello again Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.0.0.
It is a major release that includes many new features, including:

* The deprecation of support for Java 8 and Scala 2.12.
* Kafka Raft support for snapshots of the metadata topic and other
improvements in the self-managed quorum.
* Deprecation of message formats v0 and v1.
* Stronger delivery guarantees for the Kafka producer enabled by default.
* Optimizations in OffsetFetch and FindCoordinator requests.
* More flexible Mirror Maker 2 configuration and deprecation of Mirror
Maker 1.
* Ability to restart a connector's tasks on a single call in Kafka Connect.
* Connector log contexts and connector client overrides are now enabled by
default.
* Enhanced semantics for timestamp synchronization in Kafka Streams.
* Revamped public API for Stream's TaskId.
* Default serde becomes null in Kafka Streams and several other
configuration changes.

You may read and review a more detailed list of changes in the 3.0.0 blog
post draft here:
https://blogs.apache.org/preview/kafka/?previewEntry=what-s-new-in-apache6

Release notes for the 3.0.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~kkarantasis/kafka-3.0.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Tuesday, September 14, 2021 ***

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~kkarantasis/kafka-3.0.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~kkarantasis/kafka-3.0.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 3.0 branch) is the 3.0.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc2

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/30/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/30/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 3.0 branch:
Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/blue/organizations/jenkins/Kafka%2Fkafka/detail/3.0/129/
(1 flaky test failure)
System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/3.0/67/
(1 flaky test failure)

/**************************************

Thanks,
Konstantine

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the RC, Konstantine.

I was able to successfully complete the following:

- Installed 3.0.0 RC2 and performed quickstart for broker and Connect
- Verified signatures and checksums
- Verified the tag
- Manually compared the release notes to JIRA
- Build release archive from the tag, ran Connect tests, installed locally,
and ran a portion of quickstart
- Manually spotchecked the Javadocs linked above
- Verified the site docs at https://kafka.apache.org/30/documentation.html has
the correct version references, except for the tar and cd commands in step
1 of the https://kafka.apache.org/30/documentation.html#quickstart.

I think that last issue is minor and not worth another RC, since the other
version references in https://kafka.apache.org/30/documentation.html do
reference 3.0.0 and we can easily fix it on the website, optionally as part
of the other post-vote changes to the site. If that's not intentional, then
perhaps the Release Process steps could be changed to address this, since
this also happened with 2.8.1 RC1.

So I'm +1 (binding)

Best regards,

Randall

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Konstantine,

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstantine,

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstantine,

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <kk...@apache.org>.
Hi Bill,

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <kk...@apache.org>.
Hi Bill,

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstantine,

[RESULTS] [VOTE] Release Kafka version 3.0.0

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <k....@gmail.com>.
This vote passes with 6 +1 votes (out of which 4 binding votes) and no 0 or
-1 votes.

+1 votes
PMC Members:
* Bill Bejeck
* Colin McCabe
* Randall Hauch
* Konstantine Karantasis

Committers:
* No votes from additional committers

Community:
* Israel Ekpo
* Igor Soarez

0 votes
* No votes

-1 votes
* No votes

Vote thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r57230f64abc755b8c0725a78fd479cb6624bdf6771e6df9850e27bdb%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E
or
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@kafka.apache.org/msg120900.html

I will continue with the release process and the release announcement will
follow in the next few days.

Thanks everyone for your vote and confirmation of this release candidate.

Sincerely,
Konstantine Karantasis

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <k....@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <k....@gmail.com>.
I'm also +1 (binding) given that:

Re: [VOTE] 3.0.0 RC2

Posted by Igor Soarez <i...@soarez.me>.
Hi Konstantine,

Thanks for running this release.

+1 non-binding

I ran the following checks:
- Built from source
- Ran local cluster of 3 nodes with ZooKeeper
- Created a topic, 3 partitions 3 replicas
- Ran a couple producers and consumers
- Verified all logs for any errors

--
Igor