Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Bronson <rb...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/27 08:13:12 UTC

TC v5.5.9 Won't Server *.htm Files

Hello all,

I'm sure this must be a configuration issue. I am running TC 5.5.9 as a
stand-alone server (not w/Apache). The problem I'm seeing is that when
I point my browser to an "index.htm" file, Tomcat gives me a 404,
telling me it cannot find "index.jsp".

Please notice I said, "index.htm" and not "index.html".

Here's a peek at the HTTP headers as captured by Firefox. I'm only
showing the relevant headers.

GET /fred/bob/index.htm HTTP/1.1
Host: xxx.test1.com

HTTP/1.x 404 /fred/bob/index.jsp
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Is that crazy? I'm asking for index.htm and it  *DOES* exist. If I
rename it to index.html everything works fine.

I know what you're thinking -- probably I do not have the "welcome
files" set right in my default web.xml. Well, here it is:

    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

And I am *NOT* overriding these in the web app's web.xml.

Can someone running TC 5.5.9 as a standalone server please see if you
can serve an index.htm file?

Thanks much,

Bob

Re: TC v5.5.9 Won't Server *.htm Files

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/05, Bob Bronson <rb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm sure this must be a configuration issue. I am running TC 5.5.9 as a
> stand-alone server (not w/Apache). The problem I'm seeing is that when
> I point my browser to an "index.htm" file, Tomcat gives me a 404,
> telling me it cannot find "index.jsp".
>
> Please notice I said, "index.htm" and not "index.html".
>
> Here's a peek at the HTTP headers as captured by Firefox. I'm only
> showing the relevant headers.
>
> GET /fred/bob/index.htm HTTP/1.1
> Host: xxx.test1.com
>
> HTTP/1.x 404 /fred/bob/index.jsp
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
>
> Is that crazy? I'm asking for index.htm and it  *DOES* exist. If I
> rename it to index.html everything works fine.
>
> I know what you're thinking -- probably I do not have the "welcome
> files" set right in my default web.xml. Well, here it is:
>
>     <welcome-file-list>
>         <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
>         <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
>         <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
>     </welcome-file-list>
>
> And I am *NOT* overriding these in the web app's web.xml.
>
> Can someone running TC 5.5.9 as a standalone server please see if you
> can serve an index.htm file?

As it did sound funky enough to be verifiable, I tried it. Renamed
index.html -> index.htm in servlet-examples, but it worked fine
(/servlet-examples/ returns the file, as does
/servlet-examples/index.htm, but /servlet-examples/index.html returns
a 404).

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by Bob Bronson <rb...@yahoo.com>.
All, I just wanted to say that the problem here was my fault. I had
forgotten a servlet mapping I had defined which was at the root of my
problem.

Thanks to all of you who looked at the problem and I am sorry to have
wasted your time.

Bob

Posted by "David B. Saul" <db...@comcast.net>.
I have 5.5.7 and it seems to work ok - not much help - but -

Suggestion ( and a WAG ) check the web.xml in conf for the following mime
mapping:

    <mime-mapping>
        <extension>htm</extension>
        <mime-type>text/html</mime-type>