Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Mike Wasserman <mi...@intelliware.ca> on 2008/12/23 19:50:45 UTC

Tapestry Upgrade problem

I am upgrading from Tapestry 4.1.2 to Tapestry 4.1.6.
When I run my integration tests (using Selenium) I am get a error randomly.
I receive a org.apache.hivemind.ApplicationRuntimeException that indicates that given component (page) does not contain a component shell.
All of the affected pages have <html jwcid="shell"> which leads me to believe that I have specified a shell component.
I have tracked the problem into the PageLoader class, but since the problem is random it is very difficult to debug.
Is it possible that this is a threading problem?

Can anyone help?

Mike

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

Posted by Mike Wasserman <mi...@intelliware.ca>.
We are going with the solution that I wrote about in my last post.
After further investigation we believe that the PageSpecificationResolverImpl class is being initialized twice.
We are not 100% certain of this, but unfortunately we don't have the time and resources to futher investigate this issue.

We did discover that the synchronized call must be placed around the call to PageSpecificationResolver.resolve(...), trying to synchronize the method itself didn't work.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

________________________________

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by Mike Wasserman <mi...@intelliware.ca>.
We haven't tried 1.6 and unfortunately it's not really an option for us due to restrictions placed on us by the client.
It doesn't seem related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2708 . We aren't getting a NullPointerException and although that problems seems to be in a similar area of the code it isn't the same stack trace that we're getting.

Mike

________________________________

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like you may be on to something!

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Mike Wasserman
<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> We've tracked the problem further and it appears to be a thread safety problem in the PageLoader class.
> We have pop-ups in our app that are seperate Tapestry pages and we think that they may be clobbering each other when getting loaded.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> I added the following code to the AbstractComponent.getComponent(String id) method:
>
>        while(_components == null) {
>         try {
>          System.out.println("SLEEPING");
>    Thread.currentThread().sleep(500);
>   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>    e.printStackTrace();
>   }
>        }
>
> I was hoping that by having the app sleep for a short period of time the _components HashMap would eventually be populated.
> It seems to work for a while, but eventually the app ends up in a state of permanently sleeping (this seems to happen randomly, sometimes after 2 tests, sometimes after 20 tests, sometimes after 50 tests).
> So it appears that the _components HashMap is never populated under some circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any clue why this is happening, or how it is possible for this to happen in Tapestry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> I added the following code to the AbstractComponent.getComponent(String id) method:
>
>        while(_components == null) {
>         try {
>          System.out.println("SLEEPING");
>    Thread.currentThread().sleep(500);
>   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>    e.printStackTrace();
>   }
>        }
>
> I was hoping that by having the app sleep for a short period of time the _components HashMap would eventually be populated.
> It seems to work for a while, but eventually the app ends up in a state of permanently sleeping (this seems to happen randomly, sometimes after 2 tests, sometimes after 20 tests, sometimes after 50 tests).
> So it appears that the _components HashMap is never populated under some circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any clue why this is happening, or how it is possible for this to happen in Tapestry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> I added the following code to the AbstractComponent.getComponent(String id) method:
>
>        while(_components == null) {
>         try {
>          System.out.println("SLEEPING");
>    Thread.currentThread().sleep(500);
>   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>    e.printStackTrace();
>   }
>        }
>
> I was hoping that by having the app sleep for a short period of time the _components HashMap would eventually be populated.
> It seems to work for a while, but eventually the app ends up in a state of permanently sleeping (this seems to happen randomly, sometimes after 2 tests, sometimes after 20 tests, sometimes after 50 tests).
> So it appears that the _components HashMap is never populated under some circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any clue why this is happening, or how it is possible for this to happen in Tapestry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> I added the following code to the AbstractComponent.getComponent(String id) method:
>
>        while(_components == null) {
>         try {
>          System.out.println("SLEEPING");
>    Thread.currentThread().sleep(500);
>   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>    e.printStackTrace();
>   }
>        }
>
> I was hoping that by having the app sleep for a short period of time the _components HashMap would eventually be populated.
> It seems to work for a while, but eventually the app ends up in a state of permanently sleeping (this seems to happen randomly, sometimes after 2 tests, sometimes after 20 tests, sometimes after 50 tests).
> So it appears that the _components HashMap is never populated under some circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any clue why this is happening, or how it is possible for this to happen in Tapestry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry Upgrade problem

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<mi...@intelliware.ca> wrote:
> I added the following code to the AbstractComponent.getComponent(String id) method:
>
>        while(_components == null) {
>         try {
>          System.out.println("SLEEPING");
>    Thread.currentThread().sleep(500);
>   } catch (InterruptedException e) {
>    e.printStackTrace();
>   }
>        }
>
> I was hoping that by having the app sleep for a short period of time the _components HashMap would eventually be populated.
> It seems to work for a while, but eventually the app ends up in a state of permanently sleeping (this seems to happen randomly, sometimes after 2 tests, sometimes after 20 tests, sometimes after 50 tests).
> So it appears that the _components HashMap is never populated under some circumstances.
>
> Anyone have any clue why this is happening, or how it is possible for this to happen in Tapestry?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike
>

> ________________________________

Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

RE: Tapestry Upgrade problem

Posted by Mike Wasserman <mi...@intelliware.ca>.
java version "1.5.0_10"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_10-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_10-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: Tapestry Upgrade problem

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.