Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by abhayd <aj...@hotmail.com> on 2012/11/21 04:29:44 UTC

SolrCloud across datacenter

hi
I m looking into using single SolrCloud spanning multiple data centers. And
it would be mainly used as key, value store (NOSQL) type install.

We would like to have flexibility to take out the entire data center for
entire day or so. Also our app design is such that delay in soft commit of
record upto couple of minutes or so is not a issue for us.

Has anyone tried such type of install with SolrCloud?

Any advice?

Re: SolrCloud across datacenter

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I'd be pretty cautious trying this, although I confess I haven't done it
personally. The problem here is that each node has to be able (and will)
talk to each leader and vice-versa. And the various replicas will have to
talk to every other replica. If the pipe connecting your data centers isn't
very fast, I think you'll see performance degradation due to the
communications lag.

There are some JIRAs talking about making Solr "rack aware", but I'm not
sure what state they're in or whether "rack aware" includes this kind of
issue; minimizing traffic between elements of the cluster that are
connected by relatively expensive pipes.

One approach is to treat your data centers as separate SolrClouds and send
updates separately to each. And send your requests to one or the other data
center (but not both).

That said, I'm pretty sure this is an area of active effort, so this may be
changing (or even have changed)....

FWIW,
Erick