Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Javier Sola <li...@khmeros.info> on 2011/06/22 23:27:04 UTC

Re: consolidation of Windows Build software requirements

On 9/23/11 2:55 PM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:

> I am not recognizing in my mind which service packs are available for
> which Windows version.
> I am only repeating Martin here thinking that SP2 was the latest SP
> for Win XP. Thus, no reason special reason for Win XP SP2.
> My opinion is that we should always rely on the most updated version
> of an operating system which we want to support.
> Thus, for Windows XP it should be Win XP SP3, if this is the most
> updated version.

Well... Sp3 has a nasty side effect. You might remember that MS
introduced a change that made desktops black for software that they
considered as not original.

Sp2is still widely used and installed in low specs computers in
developing countries where no licensed copies of MS exist (and where the
use of unlicensed copies of software is not illegal). These computers
are a part of OOo's market.

In any case, I do not think that SP2 and SP3 will be very different.

Cheers,

Javier

Re: consolidation of Windows Build software requirements

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.
Op 23-9-2011 11:39, Tor Lillqvist schreef:
>> Sp2is still widely used and installed in low specs computers in developing
>> countries where no licensed copies of MS exist (and where the use of
>> unlicensed copies of software is not illegal). These computers are a part of
>> OOo's market.
> Sorry if I am missing something, but why wouldn't these people use an
> unlicensed copy (cracked if necessary) of the "real thing", i.e. MS
> Office, then, if it is not illegal?
>
> Imagine trying to convince them to use OOo: "OK, I see you are using
> an unlicensed copy of Windows, oh well, that is legal in your country,
> and MS is evil anyway, so I don't mind. Now, look at what I have here,
> lovely office software which is almost as good as MS Office, and it
> doesn't cost anything! And it is Open Source! Don't you want to use
> it, please? Please?"
>
> --tml
Win XP is also still widely used by people who post in the Dutch nl
community forum to report problems with installing the latest version of
OOo. I doubt very much that those people post from a developing country.
Then again, those people will have a fully upgraded system with SP3,
yes, that's the latest.
Peter aka floris v

Re: consolidation of Windows Build software requirements

Posted by Tor Lillqvist <tm...@iki.fi>.
> Yes you are missing something ;-) You are assuming here that MS Windows is
> better than OpenOffice. In this case it is a wrong assumption.

Oooh, good for OOo then.

--tml

Re: consolidation of Windows Build software requirements

Posted by Javier Sola <li...@khmeros.info>.
On 9/23/11 4:39 PM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
>> Sp2is still widely used and installed in low specs computers in developing
>> countries where no licensed copies of MS exist (and where the use of
>> unlicensed copies of software is not illegal). These computers are a part of
>> OOo's market.
> Sorry if I am missing something, but why wouldn't these people use an
> unlicensed copy (cracked if necessary) of the "real thing", i.e. MS
> Office, then, if it is not illegal?
>
> Imagine trying to convince them to use OOo: "OK, I see you are using
> an unlicensed copy of Windows, oh well, that is legal in your country,
> and MS is evil anyway, so I don't mind. Now, look at what I have here,
> lovely office software which is almost as good as MS Office, and it
> doesn't cost anything! And it is Open Source! Don't you want to use
> it, please? Please?"
Hi Tor,

Yes you are missing something ;-) You are assuming here that MS Windows
is better than OpenOffice. In this case it is a wrong assumption.

In Cambodia, for example, OpenOffice is in the local language (Khmer),
it has a nice spell-checker, sorts words correctly in Khmer, uses Khmer
dates, and it is mandatory in the education system.

Why would you want to use MS Office in English (sorry, no Khmer, formats
or spell-checker) in your Windows XP SP2, when you can use a program
that it is easy to learn, it is in your language and it helps you
write?  ;-)

Cheers,

Javier

Posted by Tor Lillqvist <tm...@iki.fi>.