Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2010/01/29 20:32:53 UTC

instability in ClobMemTest

I saw an error in ClobMemTest when it ran along with the rest of the
JUnit tests, invoked by this command:

java -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -Xmx512m
-DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases
-DderbyTesting.oldVersionsPath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases/startingPoints
junit.textui.TestRunner org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All

However, I did not see the error when I ran ClobMemTest standalone:

java -Xmx512m
-DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases
junit.textui.TestRunner
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.memory.ClobMemTest

Here is the error. Anyone else seeing it?

1)
testDerby4477_3645_3646_Repro_lowmem_clob(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.memory.ClobMemTest)java.io.IOException:
Reader closed
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.streams.LoopingAlphabetReader.ensureOpen(LoopingAlphabetReader.java:255)
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.util.streams.LoopingAlphabetReader.read(LoopingAlphabetReader.java:121)
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.assertEquals(BaseTestCase.java:402)
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.memory.ClobMemTest.testDerby4477_3645_3646_Repro_lowmem_clob(ClobMemTest.java:257)
    at
    at
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:109)
    at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
    at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
    at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
    at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
    at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
    at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: instability in ClobMemTest

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> I saw an error in ClobMemTest when it ran along with the rest of the
>> JUnit tests, invoked by this command:
>>
>> java -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -Xmx512m
>> -DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases
>> -DderbyTesting.oldVersionsPath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases/startingPoints
>> junit.textui.TestRunner
>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.suites.All
>>
>> However, I did not see the error when I ran ClobMemTest standalone:
>>
>> java -Xmx512m
>> -DderbyTesting.oldReleasePath=/Users/rh161140/derby/upgradeReleases
>> junit.textui.TestRunner
>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.memory.ClobMemTest
>>
>> Here is the error. Anyone else seeing it?
>
> I haven't seen it, but it has happened in the nightly regression tests
> too. I've posted a comment on DERBY-4477, which is the issue that added
> the test case.

See also the new DERBY-4531, which was the root cause for this
problem. I'll be committing a fix for ClobMemTest as soon as
I have run new regressions .

Re: instability in ClobMemTest

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

--