Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2016/04/06 12:54:26 UTC

Re: The future thing

Thanks Tom,

I don't think the River community is ready to abandon the 2.2 branch
just yet.

It doesn't look like anyone's about to volunteer to spin another 3.0.0
release just yet either.   Concerns remain about River 3.0 being ready
for prime time, in any case we're only set up for source releases at
present, so it would seem best to leave trunk as it is for people to
check out, build and test until confidence improves.  In any case
there's a 2.2 series release to tide people over.

Can others on the list tell us more about where they think River's
future development path should be?

What other repetitive tasks do people do now that we could develop tools
for?

Regards,

Peter.

On 2/03/2016 7:05 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> Can you tell us more about the tools River requires for deployment inside
> docker containers?
>
> The answer could be "nothing to do", but anyway it is a job for Future
> Tom.  I'm sure he'll be happy to share when he figures it out.  :-)  In
> fact was intending to commit the Dockerfiles when I get them sorted out.
>
> +1 on setting goals.  Clear goals and direction are a must.  Last time I
> looked (ages ago!) there is /nothing/ on our backlog that looked fun (to
> me).  A roadmap and unscoped (?) backlog items might help to change that.
>
> Good luck on securing services over the net - and I mean that seriously.
> Since my previous email, I've got half a use case bubbling away in the back
> my mind which might just find it useful.
>
> Talking about Git.  What do people thing about deploying 3.0 as the fresh
> new source in (Apache's) Git and just locking/deprecating/abandoning
> whatever is in SVN?
>

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Peter<ji...@zeus.net.au>  wrote:
>
>> Can you tell us more about the tools River requires for deployment inside
>> docker containers?
>>
>> River needs to establish goals and it needs committers willing to work
>> towards those goals, at the moment we don't have little of either, so
>> establishing some may help the project survive.
>>
>> I'm working on a secure version of River, forked from River trunk, for use
>> on either side of the firewall, I'm tempted to consider removal of all
>> dependencies on rmi code, but presently it is backward compatible with
>> River.  I think most people misunderstand the concept of River on the web,
>> or the internet, it's not something that would run from within a web
>> browser like a plugin, it's just a way for programs to send messages to
>> each other, peer to peer, globally, without requiring setting up web
>> servers and clients, it's not the sever ->  client  / content provider&
>> consumer model.  It has a lot more in common with the IoT model.
>>
>> In any case, securing river isn't that big a deal, it's somewhat easier to
>> understand as ProxyTrust has been deprecated and there are performance
>> improvements, but don't take my word for it, go see for yourself.
>>
>> https://github.com/pfirmstone/river-internet
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> On 28/02/2016 12:10 AM, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>>
>>> +1 on making it easy.  Spark has their "here's how you can use Spark to
>>> stream a word count program" example, as far as I'm aware River doesn't
>>> have anything similar.
>>>
>>> +1 on the Docker mention, I've been doing lots of Docker recently with
>>> Consul as a service discovery mechanism, I think River would really
>>> benefit
>>> from Docker-isation.  Both in terms of running Reggie, Outrigger etc

Re: The future thing

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
The ability to spin releases is a key aspect of being a viable project.
If we can't do that, I need to raise it as an issue in my next board
report. The problem of divergence between the last release and the trunk
is only going to get worse with time.