Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Ewan Makepeace <ew...@yahoo.com> on 2001/02/06 11:16:37 UTC

Apologies

I just sent my first message to this list, and later read a warning on
the main Apache site against posting in HTML. Looking at the source for
my posting I can see it would have been pretty ugly for anyone reading
as plain text.

1) I have checked my settings (MS Outlook) and it is set to 'send as
Plain Text'.
2) I have followed the link to the MS patches and service packs page,
but don't see an obvious fix, and some of the service packs are over
9Mb!
3) I will use Yahoo web mail to post in future until I can sort this
out - anyone else know how to fix this?
4) Apologies for any inconvenience.

I repeat my original posting in plain text below:
Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded the last nightly build and subscribed to this list.

I have written a web application generator that builds semi complete
web apps with persistent beans and JSP based screens, which I am using
in my current project. However the generator uses a relatively crude
template parser that forces me to put a lot of the java and JSP syntax
in the java code (and we all know how ugly that can get!). As soon as
my current project is stable I plan to use the generator to generate
the next iteration of itself (the code it generates is a lot nicer than
the code it is built with if you know what I mean!)

I toyed with the idea of using JSP as the template engine - since the
next version will run under Tomcat that would be OK for the Java code,
but you cannot easily generate JSP using JSP - the tags get mixed up!
Then I came across Velocity and it looked just about ideal - a simple
clean syntax, support for loops and if-then and direct hooks to Java.

So a couple of simple questions for you all before I get too deep into
Velocity:
1)    Is Velocity a good match for this type of project?
2)    I havn't seen much change on the web site since I first saw it 6
months ago - is there a stable release in sight?
3)    I have also noticed Turbine (which seems to be similar to my own
project) - is it worth investigating?
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Re: Apologies

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/6/01 2:16 AM, "Ewan Makepeace" <ew...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just sent my first message to this list, and later read a warning on
> the main Apache site against posting in HTML. Looking at the source for
> my posting I can see it would have been pretty ugly for anyone reading
> as plain text.

Just so you get an idea of exactly HOW bad it was for me to look at your
email...take a look at this:

<http://www.whichever.com/badhtml.gif>

How do you like reading 8 point blue text?

:-)

Thanks for reading the warning after the fact though. :-) One question, how
did you find out how to subscribe to the list without reading the warning
first? Did you just totally ignore what it said and scroll down to the
bottom of the page? I would like to know so that I can find ways to
encourage people to read the text above.

thanks.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous
<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/> | <http://java.apache.org/turbine/>