Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by richardg <ri...@dvdempire.com> on 2015/03/20 18:15:33 UTC

SOLR URL

I'm in the process of upgrading to Solr 5 from Solr 4* using Tomcat w/
multiple webapps.  When setting up a SOLR 5 Node is it possible to change
the URL From localhost:8080/solr to localhost:8080/whateverIwant ?

Another issue to consider w/ this I will have multiple SOLR instances.

The way I envision it working is:

localhost:8080/solr1

localhost:8081/solr2

Or is there a better way to have multiple SOLR instances on the same server.
Like I said before under Tomcat it was just multiple webapps.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: SOLR URL

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/20/2015 11:15 AM, richardg wrote:
> I'm in the process of upgrading to Solr 5 from Solr 4* using Tomcat w/
> multiple webapps.  When setting up a SOLR 5 Node is it possible to change
> the URL From localhost:8080/solr to localhost:8080/whateverIwant ?

Yes.  You can either use Solr 5 as a war (found in the binary download
at server/webapps) in your tomcat install just like you do with Solr 4,
or you can edit the server/contexts/solr-jetty-context.xml fileand
change the contextPath.

At some point in the future, a war will *not* be available at all, which
is why the documentation for 5.x says that it's no longer a webapp.
That is not really true right now, but it will be in the future, so we
are trying to encourage people to use the new startup scripts, which
will save them a lot of pain when they upgrade to that future release.

> Another issue to consider w/ this I will have multiple SOLR instances.
>
> The way I envision it working is:
>
> localhost:8080/solr1
>
> localhost:8081/solr2
>
> Or is there a better way to have multiple SOLR instances on the same server.
> Like I said before under Tomcat it was just multiple webapps.

There's usually no reason to have multiple Solr instances on one
server.  It's a waste of resources, because one Solr instance can handle
*many* different indexes.

There are only two times that I can see when multiple instances are
required.  One is when the heap required for many indexes is exceedingly
large and you need to keep GC times down, the other is if you are doing
a multi-tenant config where each customer cannot be trusted to not mess
with another customer index, and the different ports are firewalled to
only allow one customer to reach each one.

Thanks,
Shawn