Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Wyles <ro...@robinwyles.com> on 2008/08/21 11:08:05 UTC

Re: CForms and Dojo

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if this work in progress is available anywhere? I
can't seem to find it in trunk.. I am coming up against some bugs
when using certain dojo within a repeater - would love to see if dojo
1.1 resolves these.

Chris... is your forms XSL available anywhere too?

Many thanks,

Robin

Re: AW: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
On 21 Aug 2008, at 11:42, Robin Wyles wrote:

> Many thanks for all your replies... seems there is some enthusiasm
> for this after all! Once Jeremy's work is accessible somewhere I'd
> be happy to help with any further work that needs to be done.
>
> Chris: I would love to see your xslt, just so I can see if my widget
> in a repeater woes are solved by dojo 1.1.

The Repeater Widget in the new CForms has been completely re-written.
Widgets in Repeaters work well (of course :)

As a taster, here is some of the new functionality :

Repeaters gracefully upgrade from their simplest 'static' form
(controlled via action buttons) up to full-blown drag and drop solely
via configuration in the Model and Template. Lazy-loading of code
ensures that only the Libs required for what you need are loaded.

Some of the features of DnD :
   Easy to control behaviour, enforced by the Model
   Select row(s) optionally without a visible select control
   Optional Select/Drag handles
   DnD single or multiple rows at a time
   Avatars of rows being dragged plus lots of visual feedback
   No longer any need for custom handlers in your form for DnD
   Control over allowing/enforcing copy or move within a Repeater or
between Repeaters
   Control over what is allowed to be dragged from one Repeater to
another
   Control copy/move, multi-select/deselect using typical meta-keys
   Extensive visual customisation via CSS

etc. etc.

NB. You should only need to edit the templates of existing projects'
Repeaters if :
a) you were using the old DnD Widgets (where you specified the Dojo
Widget in your Template, nasty)
b) you want to use the new behaviour

I hope you will find the new Repeater to be a really powerful addition
to your webapps and I hope it was worth the wait ;)

regards

Jeremy

Re: AW: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Robin Wyles <ro...@robinwyles.com>.

AW: CForms and Dojo

[...]

email:   <ma...@c-ware.de> christofer.dutz@c-ware.de
 <http://www.c-ware.de/> http://www.c-ware.de
FA Darmstadt: 07 813 60581

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
On 23 Aug 2008, at 15:12, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn pisze:
>> Should I upgrade to 1.5 before accessing the new Branch?
>
> Yes, please. This new merge support requires both client and server
> of 1.5 version.

I am glad I asked (!)

>> Fine by me, enjoy September, I hope the weather is better than
>> August has been !!
>
> I'm going to Greece to sail a little bit; the weather simply must be
> good there. :-)

Lucky you!
Have a brilliant time :)

regards Jeremy

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Jeremy Quinn pisze:
> Should I upgrade to 1.5 before accessing the new Branch?

Yes, please. This new merge support requires both client and server of 1.5 version.

> Fine by me, enjoy September, I hope the weather is better than August
> has been !!

I'm going to Greece to sail a little bit; the weather simply must be good there. :-)

>> Now, looking forward to your commits!
>
> Many thanks for enabling this.
>
> Even though I have been scrupulously backing up, I'll feel a lot safer
> when this enormous amount of work is in SVN!

You welcome.

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Hi Grzegorz

On 21 Aug 2008, at 13:36, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
>>> Jeremy, I was thinking about this branch yesterday and I think you
>>> should branch whole 2.1 and commit your work to your branch.
>> With your help, I'd be happy to do this.
>
> I've created a branch called "BRANCH_2_1_X-dojo1_1" based on latest
> version of 2.1 branch. It's your sandbox now and you can safely play
> around there without any risk of buildings someone's work or block
> any releases.
>
> The URL for branch is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X-dojo1_1/

Brilliant!!
Many thanks for this.

So, I am running client SVN version 1.4.4 (r25188).
Should I upgrade to 1.5 before accessing the new Branch?

>> Lets do it !!
>> I am getting really close to having all widgets re-written to Dojo
>> 1.1.1 APIs, still not quite there yet.
>> But as it looks like I have some work coming up that will delay me
>> further, this could be a good time to get it out.
>
> Actually, now it's very easy, just switch your checkout of Cocoon's
> source code to the branch and commit your stuff there.
>
> Don't know which client for svn you are using, but from cmd line it
> would be:
> svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X-dojo1_1/
>
> (https is important here, of course)

Yes, thanks for the advice.

> I only have one ask to you:
> Could you try to commit as small changesets as possible (of course,
> not to small)? The best situation would be if one commit reflects
> one logical change (like migration of one widget to new API or
> something like that). Rule would be that one commit is big enough to
> not introduce intermediate states where state of branch is
> completely broken. So half-baked commits are bad idea.
>
> On the other hand, single commit should not contain anything more
> than is necessary to fulfill requirement outlined above.
>
> I ask you to split your work into smaller chunks because then it's
> easier to merge things in the future and it's much easier to follow
> your work and port it to trunk. However, I'm aware that when one is
> doing heavy refactorings following this rules is not always possible.

I'll do my best.

I'll start to perform the commit, very carefully, over the next couple
of days, and report back when I think it is ready for trying out.

> Last thing: descriptive commit messages. Even if that may sound
> obvious, but they are really, really needed. ;-)
> This is especially a case when someone else must keep trunk in sync
> with your work.

Of course

>> Apart from my dwindling list or re-writes, there will obviously be
>> a big list of niggles and bugs to fix, specially as none of this is
>> tested on MSIE.
>
> Here I hope that we can count on help of our community.

Me too :)

>> Cleaning up samples
>> Devising a good scheme for packaging code and i18n
>> Waiting for a slew of bug fixes that will come in Dojo 1.2
>> Implementing client-side validation based on cforms validators, not
>> just datatypes (as I have now)
>
> Is the last item absolutely necessary for initial release?

No it is not.

And of course, a major item I left off the list, is updating the
documentation ....

>> etc. etc.
>> There is still a lot to do, but once these last few widgets are
>> written and all legacy samples work again, people will be able to
>> run and use it, criticise, tweak, fix, meaning the slope should be
>> downhill :)
>
> :)
>
>>> Robin, back to your question: I hope that once Jeremy publishes
>>> his work we can all join our forces to push things forward. When
>>> it comes to me, I can help with porting Jeremy's work from 2.1 to
>>> trunk.
>> That would be great!!
>
> Even there is one caveat: for me September is going to be more or
> less free month and I plan to not touch computer too much so I could
> start with porting stuff to trunk in October.

Fine by me, enjoy September, I hope the weather is better than August
has been !!

> Now, looking forward to your commits!

Many thanks for enabling this.

Even though I have been scrupulously backing up, I'll feel a lot safer
when this enormous amount of work is in SVN!

best regards

Jeremy

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Alfred Nathaniel <an...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 19:46 -0400, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
> > But in the short term, what do people prefer?
> >
> > My fully expanded Dojo as a block (every file in SVN), or as a Jar
> > (a single file in SVN)?
>
> Personally, jar file is just fine. Most or all IDEs can peek inside
> jar file and show any file you want to see. And it is faster to pull
> then 4k files (is this number for Dojo files only or Dojo and all
> files added by the Subversion?)

+1 for the jar

That avoids also the temptation to modify the Dojo sources in our SVN.

Cheers, Alfred.

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Thanks Vadim,

Point taken :)

regards Jeremy

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Hi All

On 21 Aug 2008, at 13:36, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

>>> Jeremy, I was thinking about this branch yesterday and I think you
>>> should branch whole 2.1 and commit your work to your branch.
>> With your help, I'd be happy to do this.
>
> I've created a branch called "BRANCH_2_1_X-dojo1_1" based on latest
> version of 2.1 branch. It's your sandbox now and you can safely play
> around there without any risk of buildings someone's work or block
> any releases.

I have a question regarding how Dojo itself should be packaged.

In 2.1.11 (and maybe 2.2) Dojo is compiled into a Jar and served via
resource://.
There is an Ant script in the Ajax block for building this.

While I have been working on 2.1.12-dev, I just made Dojo a 2.1-style
block (src/blocks/dojotoolkit), for convenience.

I have scrupulously avoided patching the Dojo Release at all, but
during development is was useful to have easy access to the source and
sometimes add debug statements etc.

What I did have to do was to rebuild Dojo's CLDR resources (equivalent
to i18n messages) to get the widest L10N support for number formatting
etc. (approx 187 variants).

This fully-expanded dev-Dojo block (4126 files!!) is very convenient
for anyone developing /CForms/ but maybe less convenient for people
developing /with/ CForms and definitely no good for going into
production.

I am confidant that between us, we can come up with a sound solution
for making a minified, packaged Dojo, Ajax and CForms release
optimised for production ..... but we still need a more complete
version for viewing the samples etc.

But in the short term, what do people prefer?

My fully expanded Dojo as a block (every file in SVN), or as a Jar (a
single file in SVN)?

Thanks for any suggestions

regards Jeremy

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@apache.org>.
Hi Guys

Thanks for the interest

On 21 Aug 2008, at 10:47, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:

> Robin Wyles pisze:
>> Hi,
>> Can anyone tell me if this work in progress is available anywhere?
>> I can't seem to find it in trunk.. I am coming up against some bugs
>> when using certain dojo within a repeater - would love to see if
>> dojo 1.1 resolves these.
>
> Hi Robin,
>
> From my experience it looks like there are many people asking about
> Dojo 1.1 integration, few that seem to work on this stuff for their
> own but almost nobody that is willing to work on trunk.

The problem with working in trunk (as I saw it) was the sheer amount
of time in which cforms would have been unreleasable. Moving from 0.4
to 1.1.1 just broke absolutely everything.

> Actually, Jeremy Quinn has probably the best progress but he still
> keeps everything on his local computer to our misfortune.

Sorry, it just seemed easier :(

Re: CForms and Dojo

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Robin Wyles pisze:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if this work in progress is available anywhere? I
> can't seem to find it in trunk.. I am coming up against some bugs when
> using certain dojo within a repeater - would love to see if dojo 1.1
> resolves these.

Hi Robin,

 From my experience it looks like there are many people asking about Dojo 1.1 integration, few that