Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com> on 2016/09/07 13:44:56 UTC

[VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

	I’d like to call for a vote to run for 5 days (ending  Mon 12, 2016 at 7AM PT) to merge the HADOOP-13341 feature branch into trunk. This branch was developed exclusively by me.  As usual with large shell script changes, it's been broken up into several smaller commits to make it easier to read.  The core of the functionality is almost entirely in hadoop-functions.sh with the majority of the rest of the new additions either being documentation or test code. In addition, large swaths of code is removed from the hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn executables.

	Here's a quick summary:

* makes the rules around _OPTS consistent across all the projects
* makes it possible to provide custom _OPTS for every hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn subcommand
* with the exception of deprecations, removes all of the custom daemon _OPTS handling sprinkled around the hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn subcommands
* removes the custom handling handling of HADOOP_CLIENT_OPTS and makes it consistent for non-daemon subcommands
* makes the _USER blocker consistent with _OPTS as well as providing better documentation around this feature's existence.  Note that this is an incompatible change against -alpha1.
* by consolidating all of this code, makes it possible to finally fix a good chunk of the "directory name containing spaces blows up the bash code" problems that's been around since the beginning of the project

	Thanks!

[RESULTS] Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.
The vote passes with 3 +1 binding votes.

I'll be merging this later today.

Thanks everyone!

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Chris Douglas <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 (also on JIRA) -C

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Allen Wittenauer

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.
>  SUBCOMMAND is one of:
>

>Clients:
>	cacheadmin           configure the HDFS cache
>	classpath            prints the class path needed to get the hadoop jar and the required libraries
>	crypto               configure HDFS encryption zones
>
>Daemons:
>	balancer             run a cluster balancing utility
>	datanode             run a DFS datanode
>	namenode             run the DFS name node
>---snip---

Absolutely, that is a great output, very clear and provides a very good user experience.

Thanks
Anu

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 8 Sep 2016, at 16:08, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 8, 2016, at 2:50 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to do the review effort here even though I don't know detailed bash, as I expect I don't know any less than others, and what better way to learn than reviewing code written by people that do know bash?
>
> 	Just a heads up that I'm using bash variable references. While not exactly rare, they are uncommon.   [We use them in lots of places in the shell code already, so no new ground being broken.]
>
>> Could you submit a PR of that HADOOP-13341 branch, so I can review it there.
>
> 	Sure.  https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/126 has been opened.
>
> 	Thanks!

LGTM: +1. Added the vote on the JIRA too

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> On 7 Sep 2016, at 14:44, Allen Wittenauer <aw...@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
>

> 	I’d like to call for a vote to run for 5 days (ending  Mon 12, 2016 at 7AM PT) to merge the HADOOP-13341 feature branch into trunk. This branch was developed exclusively by me.  As usual with large shell script changes, it's been broken up into several smaller commits to make it easier to read.  The core of the functionality is almost entirely in hadoop-functions.sh with the majority of the rest of the new additions either being documentation or test code. In addition, large swaths of code is removed from the hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn executables.
>
> 	Here's a quick summary:
>
> * makes the rules around _OPTS consistent across all the projects
> * makes it possible to provide custom _OPTS for every hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn subcommand
> * with the exception of deprecations, removes all of the custom daemon _OPTS handling sprinkled around the hadoop, hdfs, mapred, and yarn subcommands
> * removes the custom handling handling of HADOOP_CLIENT_OPTS and makes it consistent for non-daemon subcommands
> * makes the _USER blocker consistent with _OPTS as well as providing better documentation around this feature's existence.  Note that this is an incompatible change against -alpha1.
> * by consolidating all of this code, makes it possible to finally fix a good chunk of the "directory name containing spaces blows up the bash code" problems that's been around since the beginning of the project
>
> 	Thanks!

I'm trying to do the review effort here even though I don't know detailed bash, as I expect I don't know any less than others, and what better way to learn than reviewing code written by people that do know bash?

I can see the branch at https://github.com/apache/hadoop/tree/HADOOP-13341

And the patch at  https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/HADOOP-13341/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/conf/hadoop-env.sh

But...the latter only does the _USER stuff, I don't see it ouching the _OPTS stuff.

Could you submit a PR of that HADOOP-13341 branch, so I can review it there.

Like you said, one thing that will change is that  env var going from HADOOP_namenode_USER to  HDFS_NAMENODE_USER . Like you say, incompatible with alpha-1

welll, we've a track record of breaking compatibility from alphas, so I'm OK with that,

-Steve

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341

Posted by Anu Engineer <ae...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge HADOOP-13341