Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Arsen Shnurkov <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/13 17:32:29 UTC

High availability

Where one can find an article about HA-setup of subversion
(preferable for gentoo)?

I found two places:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2007-01/1307.shtml
(it just say that someone uses GFS) and
http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/highavailability/
(It looks like commercial product, I don't read it all yet)

Re: High availability

Posted by James Bailey <ja...@wandisco.com>.
Hi Arsen,

I help to run a Subversion Community Site for WANdisco (
http://subversion.wandisco.com if you're interested).

One of the links that you've mentioned is our High Availability product.  Is
there any information specifically that you're looking for?  If so, please
don't hesitate in getting in touch with me and I'll happily get someone to
provide you with some further details should you wish me to do so.

Let me know.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Community Site Engineer
WANdisco, Inc.

Re: High availability

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 13, 2010, at 11:32, Arsen Shnurkov wrote:

> Where one can find an article about HA-setup of subversion

I haven't looked for an article specifically, but there are several things you can do to make your Subversion setup more reliable and perform better. You can create read-only mirrors using svnsync; users who need only read access can use one of the mirrors and leave the master repository for committers. Or you can even set up your mirrors to proxy write requests back to the master transparently. If the master should ever fail, there is a short manual process you can perform to turn any of the mirrors into a new master.

If by high availability you mean two Subversion servers sitting side by side accessing the same repository data, then my understanding is this is possible as long as your data lives on a cluster filesystem, like RedHat's GFS or Apple's Xsan, to ensure neither server clobbers the other's work.