Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by legolas <le...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/28 16:09:17 UTC

Does hadoop need to have ZooKeeper to work?

Hi,

I am wondering whether Hadoop has some dependencies on ZooKeeper or not. I
mean when I download
http://apache.thelorne.com/hadoop/core/hadoop-0.20.2/hadoop-0.20.2.tar.gz
does it has ZooKeeper with it or I should download zoo keeper separately.

Finally, Does ZooKeeper depend on Hadoop to work or Hadoop depend on
ZooKeepr?

Thanks.

Re: Does hadoop need to have ZooKeeper to work?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Pierre ANCELOT <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hive depends on zookeeper though, if you plan to have it.
>

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Eason.Lee <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, they are separate projects!
>> they don't depend on each other~~
>>
>> 2010/6/28 legolas <le...@gmail.com>
>>

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am wondering whether Hadoop has some dependencies on ZooKeeper or not.
>>
>> mean when I download
>> >
>> http://apache.thelorne.com/hadoop/core/hadoop-0.20.2/hadoop-0.20.2.tar.gz
>> > does it has ZooKeeper with it or I should download zoo keeper separately.
>>

>> > Finally, Does ZooKeeper depend on Hadoop to work or Hadoop depend on
>> > ZooKeepr?
>>

>> > Thanks.
>> > --

> http://www.neko-consulting.com
> Ego sum quis ego servo
> "Je suis ce que je protège"
> "I am what I protect"

Hive does not depend on Zookeeper. HBase does depend on ZooKeeper. You
can chose to have hbase manage zookeeper or configure hbase to use an
externally managed zookeeper.

Re: Does hadoop need to have ZooKeeper to work?

Posted by Pierre ANCELOT <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Eason.Lee" <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.
On 06/28/2010 10:09 AM, legolas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering whether Hadoop has some dependencies on ZooKeeper or not. I
> mean when I download
> http://apache.thelorne.com/hadoop/core/hadoop-0.20.2/hadoop-0.20.2.tar.gz
> does it has ZooKeeper with it or I should download zoo keeper separately.
>
> Finally, Does ZooKeeper depend on Hadoop to work or Hadoop depend on
> ZooKeepr?
>
> Thanks.

It's completely separate, there is no dependency, and it does need to be
downloaded and installed separately.

DR