Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Joern Turner <jo...@web.de> on 2005/01/05 23:04:47 UTC

Chicoon XForms online demo

Hello again,

for those interested in W3C XForms there's an online demo of Chicoon under
http://81.169.173.189:8080/cocoon/chicoon/index

running the Chiba XForms processor in an Cocoon installation.

Comments welcome,

Joern Turner
-Chiba Project Admin-

Re: Chicoon XForms online demo

Posted by Joern Turner <jo...@web.de>.
Hello Christoph,

Christoph Hermann <christoph.hermann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:

> Joern Turner schrieb:
>
> Hello,
> and thx for your help :)

> > hope you get it to show at least an error and happy to help again if
> > you can gather even a tiny bit more of information. (checked the logs
> > ?)
>
> Hmm maybe that helps you (and me :)):
> I get an error in the tomcat log-file:

hm, strange - seems a class is not found. if you've double-checked
your setup (as it seems) and have still problems, be invited to
our mailing-list on sourceforge (http://sf.net/projects/chiba)

we'll try our very best to help you out.

Joern

Re: Chicoon XForms online demo

Posted by Christoph Hermann <ch...@tu-clausthal.de>.

Joern Turner schrieb:

Hello,
and thx for your help :)

> second, did you call the prepare-cocoon target once before deploying
> Chicoon? This is necessary to update some libs in Cocoon to newer
> versions and copy another two to common/endorsed. you should take a
> close look at the output when executing 'prepare-cocoon' to see if
> maybe some of the copy operations fail. please note, that it *will*
> fail when you run 'prepare-cocoon' a second time. in that case you
> should call the opposite task 'restore-cocoon' to remove any Chicoon
> libs from your cocoon/tomcat installation again before trying again.

I did all that following hoto-install.txt from CVS and i encountered no
errors.

> at least, what prepare-cocoon does is:
> - replace the xerces and xmlapis version in common/endorsed

I have the following there:
common/endorsed# ls
dom3-xercesImpl.jar  dom3-xml-apis.jar  xercesImpl.orig
xmlParserAPIs.orig

> - copy chiba-libs to cocoon/WEB-INF/lib

/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib# ls chi*
chiba-0.9.9.jar

> - update JXPath in cocoon/WEB-INF/lib

cocoon/WEB-INF/lib# ls commons-jxpath-*
commons-jxpath-1.2.jar  commons-jxpath-20030909.orig

> i know this procedure is far from ideal and we're working on making
> the installation easier and more generic for other
> environments/webcontainers.

NP, works fine (imho).

> hope you get it to show at least an error and happy to help again if
> you can gather even a tiny bit more of information. (checked the logs
> ?)

Hmm maybe that helps you (and me :)):
I get an error in the tomcat log-file:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/chiba/xml/xforms/exception/XFormsException
        at
java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1590)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:179)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentHandler.doGet(DefaultComponentHandler.java:136)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ComponentHandler.get(ComponentHandler.java:381)
        at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.select(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:213)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.ExtendedComponentSelector.select(ExtendedComponentSelector.java:267)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.SimpleSelectorProcessingNode.getThreadSafeComponent(SimpleSelectorProcessingNode.java:62)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.SimpleSelectorProcessingNode.getThreadSafeComponent(SimpleSelectorProcessingNode.java:52)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActTypeNode.compose(ActTypeNode.java:80)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.LifecycleHelper.setupComponent(LifecycleHelper.java:293)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.LifecycleHelper.setupComponent(LifecycleHelper.java:174)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.setupNode(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:442)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActNodeBuilder.buildNode(ActNodeBuilder.java:69)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodesList(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:121)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:136)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.ActNodeBuilder.buildNode(ActNodeBuilder.java:71)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodesList(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:121)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:136)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MatchNodeBuilder.buildNode(MatchNodeBuilder.java:77)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNodeBuilder.buildNode(PipelineNodeBuilder.java:113)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNodeBuilder.buildNode(PipelinesNodeBuilder.java:65)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SitemapNodeBuilder.buildNode(SitemapNodeBuilder.java:70)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.createTree(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:325)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.build(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:395)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.build(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:357)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.setupRootNode(TreeProcessor.java:486)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:318)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:277)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MountNode.invoke(MountNode.java:103)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:49)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.invoke(PreparableMatchNode.java:130)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:72)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(PipelineNode.java:126)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:72)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(PipelinesNode.java:101)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:336)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:277)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:1098)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:809)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:200)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:146)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:209)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:144)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2358)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:133)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:118)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
        at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:116)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:594)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:127)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:596)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:433)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:948)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:152)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

Any Ideas how to solve it?
Christoph

Re: Chicoon XForms online demo

Posted by Joern Turner <jo...@web.de>.
Hello Christoph,

Christoph Hermann <christoph.hermann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:

> Joern Turner schrieb:
>
> Hello,
>
> > for those interested in W3C XForms there's an online demo of Chicoon
> > under http://81.169.173.189:8080/cocoon/chicoon/index
> >
> > running the Chiba XForms processor in an Cocoon installation.
>
> After looking at these examples i tried to install chicoon.
> Building works fine, but when i call
>  http://localhost:8080/cocoon/chicoon/index
> simply nothing happens.
> It works fine, when i remove the generic chicoon pipeline in the
> sitemap.xmap, but then of course none of the examples is working.
> When the generic chicoon pipeline is in the sitemap tomcat (Apache
> Tomcat/4.1.31) simply closes the connection.
>
> Any help on this would really be appreciated.
ok, Chicoon was built and tested with JDK1.4.2 and tomcat 4.1.30. since nothing
happens i think it's likely a config problem.

Posted by Christoph Hermann <ch...@tu-clausthal.de>.

Re: Chicoon XForms online demo

Posted by Joern Turner <jo...@web.de>.
Hello Paul,
Paul Joseph <pjoseph_98 <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Thank you for your reply Jeorn.
>
> I really like xForms...I hear your point about the
> client being an issue for a non-server side solution.
>
> Is just the though of all that untapped client
> processing power sitting almost unused that keeps me
> thinking.
well, i understand your point - as i've said - it depends on your point of view
and requirements of your project.

> I proposed a client side xForms soluton to a customer
> but he balked when he heard that it would need a
> special plugin in the browser (IE6).
maybe i should have mentioned that the Chiba project also provides a pure
client-side solution called 'Convex'. It builds on the same core processor but
embeds it inside a java applet. Due to our limited development power it's still
only running in IE but generally also works with Mozilla/Firefox.

> If IE were to offer a version with xForm support, then
> I do think it may be he way to go - client side xForm
> processing...
not very likely to happen. MS has its own plans here -> InfoPath.

> and yes...some of the products I have worked on have
> required to be able to run in off-line mode so that
> busy" executives can work while they are flying in a
> plane.
sure, there's a need for that in some situations. That's why we build Convex ;)

And there are other options to come like XForms converted to pure Java apps or
applets.

lurkers of our mailinglists are welcome.

Joern

AW: Chicoon XForms online demo

Posted by Alexander Zirl <al...@web.de>.
Hi *,

sorry for bothering in between, but can anyone point me to a nice Tutorial
on XForms? I've started trying out the samples and introduction that's
placed here: http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/forms/index.html but it
seems to me that the Forms jar files have changed by now and do not match
the tutorial anymore (especially the package for the Form.js and its
internals
cocoon.load("resource://org/apache/cocoon/forms/flow/javascript/Form.js");
doesn't seem to work anymore)

Thanks for any input.

Best,
Alexander Zirl

Posted by Paul Joseph <pj...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you for your reply Jeorn.

I really like xForms...I hear your point about the
client being an issue for a non-server side solution.

Is just the though of all that untapped client
processing power sitting almost unused that keeps me
thinking.

I proposed a client side xForms soluton to a customer
but he balked when he heard that it would need a
special plugin in the browser (IE6).

If IE were to offer a version with xForm support, then
I do think it may be he way to go - client side xForm
processing...

and yes...some of the products I have worked on have
required to be able to run in off-line mode so that
busy" executives can work while they are flying in a
plane.

Once again, thank you for your useful reply

thx
Paul

=====

Posted by Paul Joseph <pj...@yahoo.com>.