Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/12/03 20:29:56 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Flex December 2015 Board Report

Here's a draft of the board report.  Can someone provide new analytics?
Anything else to add?

Thanks,
-Alex

-------- Draft -----------

Apache Flex is an application framework for easily building Flash-based
applications for mobile devices, the browser and desktop.

RELEASES
-Apache FlexJS 0.0.2 was released on 11/14/15.
-Apache Flex FalconJX 0.0.2 was released on 11/14/15.
-Apache Flex BlazeDS 4.7.2 was released on 11/16/15.

-Apache Flex SDK 4.14.1 was released on 3/30/15.
-Apache Flex Tour De Flex Component Explorer 1.2 was released on 11/28/14.
-Apache Flex Tool API 1.0.0 was released on 11/20/14
-Apache Flex Squiggly 1.1 was released on 10/26/14
-Apache Flex Installer 3.2.0 was released on 6/23/15.

ACTIVITY
The past three months saw continued activity related to FlexJS, a version
of Flex that is independent from the Adobe Flash Platform. After the
release in mid-November, mailing list activity related to FlexJS feels
like it has reached new heights with new names posting.  Another security
issue was discovered in the BlazeDS 4.7.1 release resulting in the Blaze
4.7.2 release.  Meanwhile, a release manager has volunteered to release
Apache Flex SDK 4.15.0 and there is activity around bug fixes to that
code.  Work on Maven integration continues.  Mailing list traffic is down,
but not an issue yet.

At some point in time, a change to the CMS was made and when we updated
our website with news of the FlexJS release, those changes affected the
output from the mirrors.cgi and broke our installer.  I was able to find a
workaround and we'll have to eventually ship a new Installer release that
uses JSON output from the cgi.

3 PMC members presented a Flex track at ApacheCon EU and discussion are
underway for ApacheCon NA.

CODE ADOPTION
Based on threads on general@incubator and legal-discuss, we are now
discussing the notion of adopting non-ASF code bases that are already
licensed under ALv2.  One code base is Swiz which was approved for
donation by vote over two year ago and reported in prior board reports but
was never completed probably because the donor was having trouble tracking
everyone down who needed to sign the Software Grant.  The other is
AS3Commons, which is currently under discussion leading to a vote.

The understanding we have is that a Software Grant is not needed to accept
these code bases since they are under ALv2.  We will contact the major
contributors from each code base to make sure there aren't conflicts or
other objections to have Apache Flex adopt this code.  There is no
community around these code bases right now as the major contributors have
moved on to other projects so we will accept responses from the major
contributors as speaking for the community.

COMMUNITY
-Josh Tynjala was added as a PMC member.
-A discussion is underway about a new committer.
-Latest analytics include a little less than 2000 hits per day on the
website during the work week (less on weekends).
-There were more than 12,500 installs of Apache Flex 4.14.1 since its
release about two months ago.
-Almost 75,000 people have run the Tour De Flex application.  Tour De Flex
is a set of examples folks use to learn how to develop Flex applications.

TRADEMARKS
-The apacheflex.com site we reported in the prior two reports seems to be
gone.  We never received any response to our request other than the site
finally going away.
-A PMC member reported that a company is promoting a software product
called Flex that appears to be related to themes/styles for website
visuals.  I used their contact page to deliver the standard trademark
violation template just before writing up this report so they haven't had
a chance to respond.

RE: [DRAFT] Apache Flex December 2015 Board Report

Posted by Sugan Naicker <Su...@dev-x.co.za>.
HI,

Wow! Good stats! Well done to the team!

Rgs

Sugan

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
4.14.1 was released in March 2015.  That makes it 9 months ago, not 2
months ago.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Ah yes, good catch.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.