Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matthew Yette <my...@mapolce.com> on 2005/07/26 15:57:32 UTC

Ham & spam addresses

If I was to create an account for spam and an account for ham - for our
clients to forward mail to in order to train our bayes db, is forwarding
enough? Meaning - do they need to take steps to forward as an
attachment, then I have to save the attachment to a folder and then
learn on that, or will a simple forward to a vpopmail account on the
mail server suffice, which I can then run a sa-learn script on them in
the middle of the night?

--
Matthew Yette
Senior Engineer - NOC/Operations

Re: Ham & spam addresses

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Matthew Yette wrote:
> If I was to create an account for spam and an account for ham - for our
> clients to forward mail to in order to train our bayes db, is forwarding
> enough? Meaning - do they need to take steps to forward as an
> attachment, then I have to save the attachment to a folder and then
> learn on that, or will a simple forward to a vpopmail account on the
> mail server suffice, which I can then run a sa-learn script on them in
> the middle of the night?

You must forward as an attachment and then strip the attachment to
learn.  The original message, headers and all, must be preserved.

-Jim

Re: Ham & spam addresses

Posted by Duane Hill <du...@yournetplus.com>.
On Tuesday, July 26, 2005 at 1:57:32 PM, myette@mapolce.com confabulated:

> If I was to create an account for spam and an account for ham - for our
> clients to forward mail to in order to train our bayes db, is forwarding
> enough? Meaning - do they need to take steps to forward as an
> attachment, then I have to save the attachment to a folder and then
> learn on that, or will a simple forward to a vpopmail account on the
> mail server suffice, which I can then run a sa-learn script on them in
> the middle of the night?

Jim already said what I was going to. Just wanted to add that what one
person may consider to be Spam, another may not. Thus, if you are
using a global bayes database, you could be running the risk of
poisoning it.

 Duane Hill  |  Network Operations  - YourNetPlus.Com, Inc.
             | E-mail Administrator - duane@yournetplus.com
"This message is made of 100% recycled electrons."